Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a betta in a 2.5 gallon tank but he will be upgraded to a 10 gallon tank. So my question is, can I keep red cherry shrimp in a 2.5 gallon tank with lots of moss and other plants?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes definately. They have a very small bio load. Feeding them is what contaminates the water. Maybe put a guppy or two to help keep it clean and cycled. Just a thought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks. Do they need a filter? I will be doing a dirted tank because I have had better luck with the dirted tanks. Will this work? And I do have a heater and the temp stays at 75-78.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes I would have a filter. Alot of people use sponge in their filters so they wont suck up the baby shrimp when they breed. I am not an expert on filters. Maybe some one else can help to. Or you can post a new question. I wish you lots of luck. I am trying to breed shrimp right now. And am waiting on a platy to give birth.

I am not sure what you mean by dirted. Do you have plants?

·
Registered
163 Posts
i would say do the same thing with the tank now as you did with the betta to keep the water clean. if you have a hob or internal filter but some type of mesh over the intake so they dont get sucked up (panty hose works great and are cheap just cut to size) its not a necessity to filter the water especially if its heavily planted bc the plants filter the water enough for shrimp and use the nasty stuff to grow :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all:-D a dirted tank is where there is a layer of organic dirt then a cap of sand or fine gravel to keep the dirt from getting into the water column. It's basically one of the most natural ways a tank can be. In order for it to work, there have to be a ton of plants in there. In just plain ol' gravel tanks the fish waist builds up beneath the gravel, it creates this "stuff" for the plants to use. In a NPT(natural planted tank, aka dirted tank) the dirt already have the nutrients that the plants need. In most dirted tanks under ~20 gallons, you don't need a filter. The fish waist feeds the plants, and the plants keep the Water clean and provide a lot natural environment for the fish. Go to the planted tank section of bettafish.com and there is a sticky for a thread called, how to: natural planted tank.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Thank you all:-D a dirted tank is where there is a layer of organic dirt then a cap of sand or fine gravel to keep the dirt from getting into the water column. It's basically one of the most natural ways a tank can be. In order for it to work, there have to be a ton of plants in there. In just plain ol' gravel tanks the fish waist builds up beneath the gravel, it creates this "stuff" for the plants to use. In a NPT(natural planted tank, aka dirted tank) the dirt already have the nutrients that the plants need. In most dirted tanks under ~20 gallons, you don't need a filter. The fish waist feeds the plants, and the plants keep the Water clean and provide a lot natural environment for the fish. Go to the planted tank section of bettafish.com and there is a sticky for a thread called, how to: natural planted tank.
I would love to try a tank like that, but I can't stop moving rocks and redecorating... I'm afraid id end up with a muddy tank. Sounds awesome though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea it is:) the plants grow really fast so you won't have to by plants a lot once you get them growing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you read the thread in bettafish.com? Some tips.... when you put in the dirt,before you cap it, make the dirt wet. But not so there standing water.

Lots and lots of plants. Fast growing stem plants and other fast growers are good in the beginning. Also include floaters(they suck up ammonia like vacuums).

If the water is cloudy then keep on doing 50% water changes untill it's clear. Then add plants.

Some people say that the pest snails (MTS,pond,ramshorn....etc) are good am I full out agree with them.
Hope that helps:-D if you have any other questions just ask:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, but it takes a very long time. And I would asume that you could use fertilisers or replace the soil. I'm not really sure. But i think that with all the microorganisms and such breaking down the rotten plant matter, the "stuff" (I don't know what to call it lol) would feed the plants and the fish waist would also. Have you been on Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care and read the dirted tank article?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts