Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
The only live plants that can be kept without being uprooted by that catfish are floating plants.:) If your tank is close-topped, avoid the Pistia stratiotes. They will not tolerate condensation forming on their leaves. There are Salvinia, frogbits and Elodea densa. Definitely not duckweeds.:) They can be difficult to remove and are known to clog filters as they are quite prolific.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
sharkid said:
hmmm ok thank ya i think ill stick with fake ones then because i dont rly like the look of floting plants (imo) but what kinda caves or rock or anything else should i get for him?
A catfish that large can easily dismantle the rocks unless you plan to get larger size rocks. The only risk behind this if the stand may not be able to accommodate the heavy weight. I would stick to bare bottom for easier maintenance. If not, large driftwoods are never a problem and to add this, they're lighter than rocks.:)

I don't see any reason why you don't like the floating plants apart from their appearance. They can help reduce the nitrates. Catfish are often big waste producers. Plants will also serve as your biological filtration.:)

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
musho3210 said:
why dont you make the 55 gallon a saltwater?
Nah. At least, he can enjoy the balas in his 180 gallons.:brow:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts