Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well i just got it and im gunna cycle it for 2-3 weeks and then im getting a tiger shovel nose from my local store its an orangish color very pretty but i was wondering what kinda setup like plants gravel and that kindof stuff should i put intto it also live plants or fake plants?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
The only live plants that can be kept without being uprooted by that catfish are floating plants.:) If your tank is close-topped, avoid the Pistia stratiotes. They will not tolerate condensation forming on their leaves. There are Salvinia, frogbits and Elodea densa. Definitely not duckweeds.:) They can be difficult to remove and are known to clog filters as they are quite prolific.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm ok thank ya i think ill stick with fake ones then because i dont rly like the look of floting plants (imo) but what kinda caves or rock or anything else should i get for him?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
sharkid said:
hmmm ok thank ya i think ill stick with fake ones then because i dont rly like the look of floting plants (imo) but what kinda caves or rock or anything else should i get for him?
A catfish that large can easily dismantle the rocks unless you plan to get larger size rocks. The only risk behind this if the stand may not be able to accommodate the heavy weight. I would stick to bare bottom for easier maintenance. If not, large driftwoods are never a problem and to add this, they're lighter than rocks.:)

I don't see any reason why you don't like the floating plants apart from their appearance. They can help reduce the nitrates. Catfish are often big waste producers. Plants will also serve as your biological filtration.:)

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
you should make the 180 a shark tank and the 55 a catfish tank, the 180 can easily accomodate the sharks you have. But that way you need to pick a new catfish, all im saying is that a 55 is no good for those sharks but a 180 is brilliant, they will love it and will grow quite big :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya but the tiger shovelnose gets HUGE and i was told that a 180 gal would be good for him so thats what i got its 72x24x24 yes it is huge it takes up alot of room in my room i think a 55 will be good for 2 bala sharks 1 rainbow shark and a gold gourami...wont it? i didnt know that floting plants worked like that so i may actually get some but i am putting 1 big peice of driftwood in it.....ill try to get pics asap i have to borrow a camera because i dont have one right now

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
also i got the tank for 400 and my moms friend is donating a filter he used to use for his 180gal he has a 300gal now so he doesnt use it jw was 400 a good deal?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmm i see what you mean well i guess ill return the tank and save up more money for a bigger tank....what size would be best for them?

·
Registered
415 Posts
sharkid said:
hmm i see what you mean well i guess ill return the tank and save up more money for a bigger tank....what size would be best for them?
TSN's are not suitable for home aquaria full stop.

Unless of course you have room for one that is say 200x80x80..... thats inches btw, so thats about 16x6x6 feet long approximately....

You aint got room for it unless you own a public aquarium

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok well i gues sthis is gunna be for the sharks then because i defanitly dont have room for that

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
musho3210 said:
why dont you make the 55 gallon a saltwater?
Nah. At least, he can enjoy the balas in his 180 gallons.:brow:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ya i got the 180 instead of the 55 cuz my mom was like one or the other so guess it actually worked out pretty well huh :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
also how many dinosaur eels can fit in their?

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
i read your siggy and it says your cycling the 180 with bala sharks, and you think adding more fish will make it faster?!?!?!?!?! Stop what your doing, bala sharks arent strong enough to cycle, and adding more fish wont make the cycling faster, it will probably just kill them all in there, do a fishless cycle or use some hardy fish

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no no no that was a typo sry i was gunna put like some goldfish or something because i herd that having fish in their makes it cycle faster? sry for the confusion :oops:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts