Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. So I have 15~ platy fry who are around ~2 or ~3 months old now. Some are really big, almost as big as a CPD. Some half the size as their siblings.

I have them in the 13 gallon they were born in, with a school of Celestial Pearl Danios.

In my 60 Gallon I have 8 Platys (one is a platy/swordtail hybrid and oddly enough the most peaceful and mellow and largest in my tank) all male. I have 5 male guppies. 5 male endlers. 5 kuhli loaches. 6 zebra danios. 1 golden dojo loach (bought by accident, dunno what to do with yet lol). And assassin snails. Lots of live plants.

Aquadvisor has my 60 at like 90% stocked. My filtration capacity is fine, I have 2 filters.

I had originally planned to keep all the male fry when they were all grown up. But I didn't think so many would live! And I think if I kept them until they were old enough to be sexed, I'd be overstocked in both my tanks.

What would you do? When would you give them to the LFS?

Also: what would you do with 1 golden dojo loach? I got him as a baby, thinking he was a kuhli, and now he's really big and pretty lonely. Should I bring him to my LFS or get 2 more dojos? If I get 2 more dojos, will my tank be fully stocked?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Getting rid of fish is hard. You basically have 4 options.

1: Some of the local stores will take them (may or may not give you store credit for them) but most only do that if you buy stuff there. I try to buy stuff from my local shop just in case I need to move some extra fish his way.

2: You can do a add on Craigslist and give them away or maybe $0.50 each or something. Most of those people will be using them as feeder fish.

3: Cull them your self( i.e. kill them)

4: As the local fish club if anyone is interested. You would be suprised how many people would love to get free or cheap fish that have bread by local people.

Well I guess you have the option to set up more tanks but I assumed that wasn't a option. Doing large water changes and doing them often will help in the short term.

I would suggest option 4, if we where closer I would be happy to take any extra platys there are great fish.

Sorry I don't know much about Dojos so will have to let others speak to those questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts