Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally started off with 6 pygmy cory. All living in a 3 gallon tank until one by one they began to die off. Not wanting to lose anymore, I removed them from the tank then gave it a good clean then set it up as a quarantine/hospital tank. Instead of having them swim around the empty tank, I put the remaining 4 in a guppy breeding box with a small plant and floated it in the quarantine tank.
I think they had sbd so fed them a blanched pea then fasted them 24 hours. Sadly though, I lost three and now have one left who seems to be the little fighter of the group; showing no signs of illness and eating and scavenging like normal.
I also recently got a male betta (in his own 3 gal tank) and my 15 gallon tank (arrived yesterday) is being cycled.
I plan on stocking the new tank with my betta and 6 peppered cory but I'm stumped on what to do with the lone Pygmy.

Will he be okay on his own? I would buy more but my lfs doesn't stock them. I did originally buy my Pygmys online but after my recent purchase of guppies (who passed away before they reached my house) I don't plan on buying online again.

I worry about putting him in a 15 gallon tank with fish twice his size because it just seems to overwhelming for him. So would keeping him in the guppy breeding box and floating it in the 15 gal tank be okay?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I'd personally look around the local area and find him some species buddies. I personally would never keep a pygmy in a breeder box, I could never imagine one of my pygmies inside something so small... These guys need room to swim and play in.
Have you asked your local fish store if they can order them in, most of the time they are happy to do so. Even going further out - into the next town, suburb, ect - and asking at other stores may be a good idea. I'm sorry that you have had a bad experience in shipping live fish.
Is there a fish club in your area, they might be able to point you in the right direction... Or somebody possibly may be breeding them. Even putting an ad on craigslist might be worthwhile, you might find somebody wanting to rehome their group.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply!
I was thinking of getting a few Peppered Cory once the fish were settled into their new home. The one LFS I go to stock plenty of albino/bronze/peppered cory but sadly no Pygmy. There are also three other pet shops I've visited who also only stock those catfish. So hopefully my lone Pygmy can have some type of bonding with the Peppered Cory?
I did ask the pet shops if they could order some in but they either said "depends what's on the market" or "we don't stock those fish". Very frustrating!
Also the only "fish" clubs we have in the area are actually "fishing" clubs.
I'm not going to give up on finding this little guy some friends! :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
Sorry to hear about your pygmy cories. I tried to keep panda cories and they all died on me. I found the same issue with stocking fish species that are slightly away from the "normal" pet store stock. And I did feel bad about the last guy. Usually you will find the more unusual species very occasionally and if you want to keep them, then it is best to purchase all of them at once (and hope that they are all in good health).

Three gallons would probably not be good for the pygmy cories as they do need a well matured tank and are more sensitive to water parameters than the corydora aeneus (albino and bronze). A larger tank would be easier to maintain than a small one and wouldn't be as susceptible to sudden changes in water parameters.

All cories like lots of hiding spaces, so the plants and perhaps a piece of driftwood that they can hide under would also lessen stress. Continue to keep an eye out for the pygmy cories, and try to buy at least 5 or 6 (if you still have the one).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts