Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well some of you may ahve seen me around in the freshwater area(haven't been on in a while) But for most over here int eh salt im new :p A friend of mine gave me a deal on his 12g nano with live sand/rock/mushrooms and polyps. Also some CUC ofc for the sweet deal of $120. The tank before i got it was up and running a little over a year at his house. I have also included a video i took of the tank. So far the tank is looking real good and getting great help and advice from my friend about the upkeep and care of the tank. Maybe you all can help me identify the names of the mushrooms and polyps i have since i have forgotten when my buddy told me lol Again hello to all the salt water people :yourock:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tank is still doing real good.. getting ready to do another water change this weekend to give some fresh salt water(buy it from a trusted M&P shop my buddy got from) Just wondering what to add to the tank fish wise being its so small? Was thinking a Goby but new with saltwater tanks lol any advice?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ty rsully :) and also ty reefing i was looking at that page and some of the gobys are very nice looking. the Firefish, Helfrichialso looks nice but a bit out of my price range atm lol I have always been a big fan of the clownfish but im guessing a 12g is prob. just a bit to small eh?

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
Most poeple put Clown fish in 10g tanks. I don't advise it, but the Percs and OCC don't really venture far from a spot they pick out in the tank to call home. Up to you.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
was just looking at them its like 39.99 and buy 1 get 1 free atm so not to bad for 2000 lol but im going to talk to my LFS i got him from i have known the owner for about 20 years so see what he can supply POD wise(forgot to ask today casue he closed early at 2pm) Other wise can always take him back in exchange for another he sales them for $20 but got $10 off(gave away a black convict cichlid lol) But so far he is nice.... Also if i may ask, what would you recomend fish wise for a starter to saltwater but have over all exp. in tanks abd fish keeping(fresh water for 6 years)? Im always open to idea's and Opinions :)

wanted to add this pic :) its such a pretty fish :p

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay after going to my LFS and talking with the guy i know he told me to add this stuff called "tigger pods" live Copepods and said that should last for 4-6months before needing to add more. He said add them witht he lights out and they dig into the sand and breed like crazy. The bottle Says Large Red Copepods 250-1700 Microns. I added a few pics of the bottle i have but so far dont seem to bad.

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
Now watch the fish, if he starts to thin out, you need to add more, hoping its not to late at that point. And the Dragonette doesn't pull them outta the sand bed, he picks at the rocks and sand bed all day, so if they bury themselves, your in trouble there.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the info reef, i will indeed keep a eye on him! my buddy gave me a deal at $10 a bottle norm $20(watched him sale one before me lol) Not sure if the one site is worth it to order from $40 for 2000(by 1 get 1 free) Prob will stick with this "tigger pods" if all go's well... Quick question... can you have to many pods? im getting at if next time(or when needed) i get some instead of 1 i get 2 will that throw the hole tank off?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks again reefing, thats what i will do then :) like this lil guy and dont want to see him go(my kid has fallin in love with him/her since also) great sound advice :) ty again m8

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So far so good with the tank and Goby. Been keeping up on my weekly water changes and top off's. The mandrian goby to my surprise LOVES brine shrimp lol so a plus there but over all been keeping a very close eye on him and he seems to be loving life in the tank. The only thing i found odd today is it seems 1 of my purple mushrooms has hitched a ride on one of my CUC hermit crabs and im not sure if thats normal or not?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts