1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dad once had a 129 gallon tank
i'm a beginner at fish so i need your advice
is an 129 gallon tank worth it?
or should i get a smaller tank like a 35 or 6 gallon tank?
i'm going to get two fish at a time and i'm going to the fish once a week so for two weeks i will have four fish, 3 weeks, 6 fish, etc.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Hi Microsoft.:wave:

129 gallons should be ok even if it's too large for a beginner.
Wise plan of adding fish.:thumbsup: You'll need to cycle the tank first before adding any fish.

You know what, I've been wanting something even larger like 129 so I can keep several altums along with diamond tetras.:wink2:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
something bigger than 129?
oh yea
my friend had a tank as big as a room
he kept turtles in there
i hope you can get that massive tank
and your tetras

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
microsoft said:
something bigger than 129?
oh yea
my friend had a tank as big as a room
he kept turtles in there
i hope you can get that massive tank
and your tetras
Lol..yes, hopefully.:thumbsup:

Just read the basics on the sticky threads posted in this section and don't hesitate to ask more questions here.:)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Poor Blue, I would send you some diamond tetras if i could! You obviously really love them! How many tanks do you have and what size are they? I have seen the photos of your 75 gallon and it's gorgeous.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
blue_gourami45 said:
Poor Blue, I would send you some diamond tetras if i could! You obviously really love them! How many tanks do you have and what size are they? I have seen the photos of your 75 gallon and it's gorgeous.
Hi Tracy.:wave:

Thanks for the comments.:thumbsup: Er..personally, I hate decorating my tanks with too many plants so I settled with a few ones instead. I like the Nymphaea stellata best.:mrgreen: It's still growing like crazy.:crazy:

Er..hope you won't charge me for mailing me the diamond tetras.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
Yum,how nice to have a big tank.
as i often read,the bigger the tank the better,
as it is often easier to manage,as a large body of water
can be more forgiving than a small tank.
i regret getting rid of my 4ft tank.
i personally feel that you have more room to
play with,as in the way you decorate it,and the amount
fish you can have.
:)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
but since i just starting handling fish, everyone advises me to get a small one like a 6 gallon tank
or maybe a 15

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
microsoft said:
but since i just starting handling fish, everyone advises me to get a small one like a 6 gallon tank
or maybe a 15
6 gallons is far too small for a beginner.:blink: Small tanks make water chemistry even harder/trickier to adjust.
I'd suggest 15 as the minimum rather than below 15.
In this hobby, buy the largest tank you can afford. Make sure you can accommodate the needs of a very large tank(larger than 55 gallons). Otherwise, don't buy or you'll feel the consequences of not being able to accommodate and end up throwing it in a few years.
You have to make a final plan carefully on the tanks you buy.:)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so is a 35 gallon tank reccomended? My friend said it cost about 80 dollars not including the filter and gravel.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
microsoft said:
so is a 35 gallon tank reccomended? My friend said it cost about 80 dollars not including the filter and gravel.
35 gallons should be ok. Just do research before buying fish. Fish can be tempting and it's not easy to resist buying them on impulse and then realizing this fish will cause future problems.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
isn't buying from specific pet stores also not so great? because some kid went to petco and bought a fish, not knowing it was diseased. The diseased fish killed all 27 of his fish, and poisened his water. :cry:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
microsoft said:
isn't buying from specific pet stores also not so great? because some kid went to petco and bought a fish, not knowing it was diseased. The diseased fish killed all 27 of his fish, and poisened his water. :cry:
Not poisoned but killed by the disease. As long as you know how to distinguish the healthyfish from a sick one, there shouldn't be any problems.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
microsoft said:
does a diseased fish look like a dull faded color instead of a bright color?
Usually it does. Look for hollow stomach, clamped fins, sunken eyes and sluggish movements.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'd say that the biggest petstore no-no is Wal Mart. Otherwise other petstores are usually ok. But Wal Mart is, as you know, committed to cheap prices and that shows in the way they take care of their tanks; half the time they are totally diseased.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
does costco sell fish? Because Costco has much prices than walmart
wait, so let me get this straight
walmart, no good
other smaller store yes!

·
Registered
848 Posts
I don't think Costco has fish. If you want to chance Wal Mart, go ahead. You might get a good deal. I personally wouldn't get fish there just because the tanks at ours aren't well-cared for. However, that doesn't mean that every other store isn't ok.

You kind of have to experiment. For example, if fish from a certain store consistantly die or infect your tank, you may want to switch stores for a while. Also, check over the tanks carefully at stores, and if you see even 1 fish that looks like it could be sick, don't get a fish from that tank, or any other connected tanks. Naturally you might get a bad fish once in a while. That's to be expected since fish aren't the hardiest of creatures. But you just kind of have to be observant and play it by ear. ;)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just got glow danios from the house of fins! I love them so i changed my avatar to them
They're really rare
i think they're illegal in some states

1 - 20 of 24 Posts