Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into my jobs reef tank maintenance group and they haven't been doing water changes or checking the parameters, in fact, i was told by the woman that Nitrates didn't even matter... :lol:
Clearly she didn't know what she was doing so i took the liberty of running some tests

PO4 - 3.0
NO3 - 160+
SG - 1.023
DKH - 12
Calcium - 300ish

There was no thermometer, but they do have a working Chiller on the tank
NO3 being as high as it was, it was no wonder the anemones and other fish are dying.

So i'm going to document what i'm doing to bring the #'s into check.

They had no skimmer and no RO/DI water (they were using household water filters... still had NO3 coming out of it)

I'll update with pics later when i get them on my new PC.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The AquaC Ev-280

Mag18

RO/DI

box of accessories

Their sump

Mind you, they are paying for it all so it's nice to get to spend someone elses money;-)

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's a 128 gallon? Do you remember the tank's dimensions? I haven't encountered that size before and am curious. I'm glad you have the opportunity to revamp this tank!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i can't remember the dementions, but it's a bowfront so that's where the extra 3 gallons are comming from. It's a common gallon size for a bowfront. I find them annoying. I'll take pictures

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
It's a 128 gallon? Do you remember the tank's dimensions? I haven't encountered that size before and am curious. I'm glad you have the opportunity to revamp this tank!
i have an 80 odd something tank that is 5' l x 18'' w x 21'' h
im almost positve those are the measurements, it actually equals i think 95 gallons but it has 1/2 glass so you have to subtract an inch front and back and side to side and a 1/2 top to bottom.

still waiting for a FTS kells. :roll:

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've had some time to bring some of the corals back. Those bubble coral look much better now then when i first started and some of the candy canes died off in just a few days before. You can see the skeleton on all the corals of where they use to be.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Nice pics & vids. How nice to be able to spend someone else's money. I can see now where this tank is going in your capable hands. What's the complete stock list on this baby?? ;-)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you:oops:

They have:
Lunar Wrasse
Purple tang
3 False Percs
Flame Angel
I don't know what it's called but it's a yellow to black angel
J.P. Bangaii Cardinal
Dimond sleeper goby
I belive that's it for fish

Corals they have
Encrusting Montipora
2 types of candycanes
bubble coral
Shrooms everywhere 4types
and a frogspawn that looks horrible
and everything else they had has dies

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So the new fish they got, Lunar Wrasse, IMHO is eating corals. I'm not sure and they love the guy so i'll be watching closely. That's all i need is a coral eater with all that LR and the unusual canopy they have.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Been having issues with the skimmer... turns out that there was blockage in the inlet to the skimmer and so i wasn't getting the water it needed to build the bubble tower.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts