Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 125 gallon with a fx6. Its stocked with 1 oscar, 2 blood parrots, 2 bichirs, and 1 bristlenose pleco. Do you think i could put a bala shark with them? The tank has been running since about April of last year.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello Jay...

There a couple of freshwater sharks in this world, but none that will work in an aquarium. There are some freshwater fish that appear sharklike, but they aren't sharks. These species are aggressive and not a good choice for any sized tank. Do your research on fish of this sort before you get one. Check out books by David Boruchowitz. This guy's been keeping fish since the 1960s.

M

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bala sharks would be perfect for your tank. They are very peaceful and they look beautiful when they reach their adult size. They like to school so make sure you get at least 3. For your current setting, 3 or 4 would be perfect even though you could get away with 6 or 7 since you have a really good filtration system but I don't recommend getting that many because you would be overstocking the tank.

@ManyTankKeeper not all the freshwater sharks are aggressive, especially not Bala shark. The aggressive ones would be a Rainbow shark or red-tailed black shark. They wouldn't work in his setup anyway not because they're aggressive (they're only aggressive towards its own species, that is if you keep more than 1) but because Oscar is a bigger fish and would dominate and probably eat them. However, bala sharks do get along with Oscar just fine as they're fast and grow to about same size as Oscar.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Sail...

This fish isn't a good choice for a first tank and I wouldn't recommend trying to keep one. They can get quite large if given good water conditions and have some pretty specific diet requirements. Not a species for most tank keepers.

M

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi again Sail...

The Bala Shark is a shoaling fish. It likes others of it's own kind. A shoal is typically 3 to 6 individuals. The fish gets to around 14 inches. I doubt this many would work in a 125 gallon tank. But, you're the expert. I wish the poster good luck.

M

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think the op has enough information to decide by themselves. The most important thing to note is that these species are not aggressive, unlike you mentioned.

Many people keep them in aquariums and most fish stores have them for sale regularly. So the fact that they don't work in aquariums is simply not true.

He doesn't need to get 6, but obviously you didn't read what I mentioned before. 125g is a recommended minimum and I assure you people keep them in way smaller tanks (which still doesn't make it right).

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Hello. Bala sharks do get large and should be in shoals so require a large tank when mature. They are also very active swimmers. I have 4 large balas ranging from 9-11" with a 13" Black Belt and a 6" Pictus cat in my 150 gallon. That is fully stocked to me. There is a good harmony in the tank. I feel the OP is already pretty well stocked as is and adding 4-6 balas will overstock his tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts