Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in starting up a ten gallon tank and i want fish that can grow from 3 to 4 inches live in a schools look cool and eats like a pig low maintenance and very little requirements I'm talking rocks with like a cool ornament in the middle maybe 2 or 3 fake plants. i was wondering if you can help me out OH yea and i want it to be very durable i don't mean to sound like I'm ordering a new car but i want to get it right this time and hopeful also maybe they can have a life span of 4 years minimum SO please could you help me out i looked into mollies and they grow larger than 4 inches i looked into pictus catfish and they can grow fairly big then i looked into platys and they seemed to be cool but I'm still looking for something well lets say aggressive Ty and please get back to me.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
hmm, a 10 gallon tank cant really hold fish that big. A simple but not always true rule is 1inch of fish per gallon. SO your tank could hold around 8-10 inches of fish. Danios, tetras, and dwarf species of cories would be the only things that could fit there.

·
Registered
606 Posts
platties are cool and they breed really easy(Ratio 1 male to 3 female)
but there not agressive. and they dont get that big. just about 2 inchs.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You may want to consider praecox rainbowfish. You could probably house 5 or 6 of em in a 10 gallon tank provided that you had adequate filtration, etc. I'm a big fan of those fish unfortunately they're a little too hyperactive for my discus in my main tank.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
FDStation152 said:
You may want to consider praecox rainbowfish. You could probably house 5 or 6 of em in a 10 gallon tank provided that you had adequate filtration, etc. I'm a big fan of those fish unfortunately they're a little too hyperactive for my discus in my main tank.
I had both in my tank before.:mrgreen: Discus aren't too timid though. They are far too bold and will not hide among plants and woods.:) Shame..my praecox succumbed to columnaris last year.:sob:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Maybe I have a particularly shy discus then. When the praecox were in with her she would spend all day hiding back in the plants and would rarely eat. Took em out and an hour later she was swimming right up to the glass and wolfing down blood worms like there was no tommorow. Even the german rams tend to bug her when they get wound up (2 females and 1 male...so they are always squabbling)

·
Registered
415 Posts
JTheFishGuyG said:
I'm interested in starting up a ten gallon tank and i want fish that can grow from 3 to 4 inches live in a schools look cool and eats like a pig low maintenance and very little requirements I'm talking rocks with like a cool ornament in the middle maybe 2 or 3 fake plants. i was wondering if you can help me out OH yea and i want it to be very durable i don't mean to sound like I'm ordering a new car but i want to get it right this time and hopeful also maybe they can have a life span of 4 years minimum SO please could you help me out i looked into mollies and they grow larger than 4 inches i looked into pictus catfish and they can grow fairly big then i looked into platys and they seemed to be cool but I'm still looking for something well lets say aggressive Ty and please get back to me.
Microrasbora galaxy? :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks but im still wondering about some things

Ive recently heard of dwarf species such as the dwarf gormi ,dwarf chilchid of what i understand lots of chilchid are aggressive and do ocassionly eat the small fish that go missing mysteriously anyways would a dwarf gormi be able to be in a group of four in a ten gallon or even dwarf chilchids.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Re: thanks but im still wondering about some things

JTheFishGuyG said:
Ive recently heard of dwarf species such as the dwarf gormi ,dwarf chilchid of what i understand lots of chilchid are aggressive and do ocassionly eat the small fish that go missing mysteriously anyways would a dwarf gormi be able to be in a group of four in a ten gallon or even dwarf chilchids.
Not the dwarf cichlids anyway.:) They're not predatory but they can eat the fry. I would stick to only a pair of dwarf gouramis with several plants. Males can occasionally get aggressive.

I like the suggestion of Galaxies.:love:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts