Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

have taken the plunge and finally got a tank. I have got two tanks, one for my betta, they can have to them-selves (haven't got them yet, not decided on a female or male)

I have just got another tank. I was told it was only 35 litres, but when I put the numbers into a calculator they come up with about 45-47 litre. It's - 36cm (L) 27cm (W) 46cm (H).
I know it is a small tank, I was limited on options. I know a problem with most is over crowding etc. will also need to get a heater for it, and get it all set up for a few days before actually getting the fish.

honestly, all I want is Guppies, Neon tetras and hopefully Endlers. Probably mostly males, to avoid accidental breeding. what sort of numbers am I looking at, for the fish to comfortable, but not crowded ? Neons need to be in a group of about 6 don't they ? what about guppies and endlers ? are they compatible ? if not possible, what other suggestions are there ?

many thanks,
Pamela :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
in a 10g tank, you will definately not be able to fit a happy school of all three types of fish. that would simply be too much crowd! I would recommend getting just one school of fish, and then some bottom feeders like cories and shrimp would be nice. for guppies, I would get six. in a bigger group there will be less fighting, but still give them lots of plants or decor to hide:)
I do not recomend neon tetras as a beginner fish. despite their popularity on the market, they are actually one of the most sensitive and disease prone tetras available. if you realy like teir look, te cardinal tetra is another commonly available, similar looking(actually brighter coloured) hardy fish. rummynose tetras are also very nice. Endlers are a great option too. you coukd probably fit a maximum of 8 endlers, since they are small.they are generally easy to care for and very colorful! I hope that information was helpful, and good luck setting up the new tank!!!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Using the procedures in the link in my signature, I had a 10g tank run for 8+years with 30+ guppies (6 reproducing) who were descendants from the original cycle trio.

I also have had 6 neon tetras and 6 glo fish in another tank for 3-4 years.

best tank ever.

my .02

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
^ dont do what he does with his tanks. Feel free to read his thread. However read ALL of it if you do. Its not a recommended way for a proper or pretty tank to be kept.

I'm with squishy here.. Well asside from corys. 10g isnt big enough for a happy group of them. It can be done but they really like to be in groups of 6+. so I'd recommend shrimp and or snails in addition to your guppies or endlers. Plants would be a great idea too.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yes, I was thinking cories might be too much...
I would have recommended otos, but not for a new tank haha:)
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: Agent13

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I have plants already in the tank, hoping it will help it cycle. might get a few more though, I have four at the moment, but think the fish will need more coverage.

admittedly, I am conflicted. I have been to the pet shop, and they said I could have up to 20 small fish in the tank. I don't want anything overcomplicated, just want some nice hardy fish. even thought of just keeping the tank for a goldfish...but now have bought the heater...plus those things grow and waste like nobodies business.

But...after some careful consideration, I may just stick with a big school of guppies and endlers, with maybe some shrimp or other small bottom feeder, whose name I have forgotten. as I said, I don't want to overcrowd the fish tank, or make the fish uncomfortable with small school numbers etc.

I will be tanking my first sample of water to the fish shop tomorrow to see where the cycling is at the moment. some people say it will take weeks, other say it might take only a few days. so will see what the tests say, if maybe I can add a few fish to begin with.

I thought you needed to add fish together, otherwise if you do it separately, the fish will attack the ones they're not familiar with...or will they just establish a new pecking order etc. ?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Add more plants.

If you're happy with guppies I would (per the link in my signature) add a male after the plants have conditioned the tank for a week. And don't add food for a week.

then add a couple of females and start feeding a single flake per day.

In that way the population of guppies will build up to whatever the tank can substain.

I find the darker colored (half black) type fancy guppies are the best. With the lighter colored having much more problems.

my .02

·
Registered
346 Posts
You can even find wild feeder guppies for like 10 cents apiece. They look brown as a mass but really if you go look at them they are absolutely gorgeous. Much more hardy and if you pick out the pretty ones it would make a stunning display. There are ones with many different shimmery colors on their bodies, and you just don't see such interesting shimmery patterns like that on the fancy ones. Just a thought. If you are interested in breeding you can try it, but Ime it can get out of hand. If you just let them reproduce to the level the tank can sustain, what that means is pretty much that the population will grow to the absolute max, and then as they continue to reproduce, things will start dying to balance the amount of life in the tank. If that's how you want to do it, then it's your tank. Just a thought though.

The goldfish idea is an absolute no. I think you know that though, so good job!:D

I do agree with beaslbob, more plants! I love plants and more won't hurt;)

20 small fish I don't think is a good general statement. You could fit like 20 TINY fish such as mosquito rasboras,( love those btw) but I just don't think anything larger would be healthy at such a large amount.
I have a 10g tank, very well planted, heavy filtration. I have a grand total of 13 small fish and I know I'm overstocked. I have 5 dwarf cories which are very very tiny fish, they are only 1/2 and inch. I have two sparkling gouramis, also a tiny fish, about 1 inch. I have 3 otos and 3 kuhlis. So i am not saying this is an ideal setup, because it's not. I am upgrading soon and they'll get bigger schools and a nicer tank. The point of me telling you though is just so you can get an idea of the mumbers you are looking at. All my fish are very low bio load fish and don't eat too much. So, having this tank, and my experience I feel my tank is heavily stocked. The fish you are considering have higher waste levels etc. would you want 20 fish?
Just food for thought.
Best wishes, I'm so excited to see what you will do with this tank!:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Happy news !!!

I got my guppies :D I tested the water and everything was good in my big tank. only got four at the moment, will test the water again in a week before adding any more. I think I will just stick with some guppies and endlers. looking at the fish in the actual tank, I can see the comparison of size and space. I also bought them abit if wood they can hide and swim under. so thanks for the advice :) one last question though, how do you know if your fish are fighting ? noticed one pair of my guppies facing eachother, lips almost touching, chasing eachother. has only happened once. are they just establishing a pecking order? they're all male at the moment.

My betta tank however needs abit longer to settle it seems, it's NO2 and NO3 are just abit too high. hopefully will pick up my betta in two days. :) I'm going to call him Adonis. he's a handsome baby blue. I saw a nice dark blue and red betta I wanted, was going to name him Zeus, but then someone else bought him :/

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
yeppers.

they will set up a pecking order.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeppers.

they will set up a pecking order.
How long does it last ? ? ? :-?

don't want to wake up in the morning, or come home and find one dead. there are four there in the tank at the minute, because I have only just cycled the tank can't put too many in at a time.
they started off good. three stayed together while one explored the tank abit more. have one peach one which gave the yellow and the orange ones a poke. but now he's getting hounded by this blue one, following him around etc. the peach one is still trying to have a poke at the others though. they've been in the tank about 6 odd hours ?

not seeing any major nipping or head butting. I am just a worried new owner :oops: don't want my boys to fight. hopefully they will settle down for the night.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
How long does it last ? ? ? :-?

don't want to wake up in the morning, or come home and find one dead. there are four there in the tank at the minute, because I have only just cycled the tank can't put too many in at a time.
they started off good. three stayed together while one explored the tank abit more. have one peach one which gave the yellow and the orange ones a poke. but now he's getting hounded by this blue one, following him around etc. the peach one is still trying to have a poke at the others though. they've been in the tank about 6 odd hours ?

not seeing any major nipping or head butting. I am just a worried new owner :oops: don't want my boys to fight. hopefully they will settle down for the night.

Hopefully not long.

can't say from experience though.

I always start with a single male.

keep us posted

·
Registered
346 Posts
the fighting will most likely continue forquite a while until you get more fish. boys will be boys;) they like to fight and can be territorial so, whike they will not kill eachother, they will always fight to some extent. The more fish in te comunity, the more leveled off they seem. I love watching their dominance displays though! I had 6 at one time and there were two 'top dogs'. they would swim up, nose to nose as you mentioned, then slowly start to rotate, never breaking eye contact or distance. Then theyed fan their fins and sort of curve into an s like shape and just vibrate all their fins and body. the first tie I saw them do It I got really nervous, but its actually quite fascinating and beautiful!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dwarf gourami question

Hi i am considering getting 2 dwarf gourami's for my 20 gallon long tank to be the centre piece fish will 2 males be ok as i dont want them constantly picking on each other or shall i try and get a male and female i have plenty of plants in there?
:roll:

current stock

2 swordtails 1 male 1 female young
4 red wag platys
1 male guppy
3 cherry barb

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry my last question was posted in the wrong thread would anybody be so kind to move it somewhere else please i am new to all this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The guppies seemed to have settled down abit now :) from the looks of it, I'd say the big blue one is top dog for the moment :D will have to see how they will fare when I add some more.

sigh, just wish my betta was doing better. the NO2 and NO3 is still too high. I have changed 25% of the water, added tap safe and bacteria :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts