Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first ever tank as I'm new to this hobby, but I've done loads and loads of thorough research to prepare myself. The only info I haven't been able to find is how exactly I could stock my tank, as there are so many different variables that go into decisions like this. I have a 10 gallon long tank, very heavily planted, and my fishless cycling process has been complete as I first set the tank up 3 weeks ago, and I used live bacteria supplements and some old filter media. This is how I would like to fill it:
1x male betta fish,
2x amano shrimp,
2x ghost shrimp,
2x green jade shrimp,
3x tiger/zebra nerite snails,
4x thorn nerite snails,
3x male emerald endler's livebearers, and
7-9x ember tetras (however much you recommend).
As of right now, I do already have two amano shrimps, two thorn nerites, and a tiger and a zebra nerite snail comfortably living in this tank. I will also note that I plugged all this info into the website AqAdvisor.com and my stocking level is under 100%, so if that's a good stocking limit, great. Waste issues for this highly stocked tank would not be a problem for me as I have too many plants to list, a Top Fin power filter for up to 20 gallons, and I am prepared to do the necessary frequent water changes if the nitrate levels rise too high. However, if you think that amount of animals would simply create too little space for everyone to be happy, please let me know.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This seems perfect to me! Remeber to add live plants for the shrimp and snails they love to rub there litttle hand on them so cute! However, I do not reccomend the endlers with a betta the betta likes to pick on smaller fish. However, The ember tetras will go quite nicely with the betta in a 10 gallon! If you don't put the endler livebearers in the tank you could probably have 9-12 ember tetras. One last thing. Whatever you do DO NOT put that 20 gallon filter in there the betta will either be sucked up or exuasted I don't even reccomend a filter it's usually to strong for most bettas. I reccomend using the 20 gallon filter ONLY as a backup to a 15 gallon filter. A 15 gallon filter will be fine because he can always swim farther away from it but PLEASE be careful and make sure it cannot get sucked into it if it does turn out to be to strong. If it IS to stong remove the 15 gallon filter and put in a basic 10-12 gallon filter it makes a diffrence!
Hope this helps sincerely, 20yearfishexpert.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds fantastic!!! Fun aquarium! the only difference I would make is, I would use a sponge filter set up. get a 15 gallon sponge and air pump, airline, check valve.. All pretty cheap on Amazon.

They will also eat off the sponge. Free food!

I have a 20 long with a blind betta, amano shrimp, rabbit snail and nerite. Tons of Anubis, and about a softball worth of Java Moss. Filtered with a 40 gallon sponge filter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts