Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:grin2:Hello!:smile2:
I currently have 3 neon tetras (I've had them for almost a year now). They are doing great but I think they wouldn't be as shy with a few more of them. I previously had 2 guppies but they both died because I didn't act quickly enough for the first on and when I quarantined the other one it was too late. Long story short, I'm seeking to redo my aquarium and have live plants is it as well as get more fish. I've read about live plant care. Currently I have gravel but I'm not sure if that would be fine with some root tabs. Do live plants dramatically raise the pH? Because when I do my water change it is at about 7.6 but by the end of the week it climbs to 8.2 or less. I was thinking of getting 2 guppies and 3 neon tetras with the 3 I already have but I really don't want to push the stocking limit. I would love to get a larger aquarium but my parents say I don't have space and such. It's a lost battle there. I want to have a fun interactive aquarium but I'm really limited with a 10 gallon tank. Any plant suggestions and stocking recommendations? I have filtration for a 20 gallon tank with the Aqueon10 filter. Anything else I should keep in mind? THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP!!!

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
You shouldn’t have a problem adding 3 more neons. I would go with a Betta over 2 guppies. From there you can have a colony of cherry shrimp - if you want to go that route then the Betta would be the last addition. You want the shrimp to be established before adding anything that might eat them, that way when they do snack on some shrimp it’s no big deal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You shouldn’t have a problem adding 3 more neons. I would go with a Betta over 2 guppies. From there you can have a colony of cherry shrimp - if you want to go that route then the Betta would be the last addition. You want the shrimp to be established before adding anything that might eat them, that way when they do snack on some shrimp it’s no big deal.
Thanks! I've heard that sometimes the betta can be too aggressive and I don't think I would be able to house it separately. If need be, I might but I would prefer not to. Is there any way in knowing what temperament the fish will be?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Bettas are mostly aggressive with other anabantoids. It’s highly unlikely to attack neons, in my experience.

Reactions: Ofishaly Fish

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Yes plants do raise the pH by consuming the co2. If you check you should find a pH rise during lights on and fall after lights out. But the pH overall will be much higher then if there were no plants.

my .02

·
Registered
10 Posts
I currently have a 10 gallon with gravel substrate 1 male betta and 2 nerite snails, I have found from a bit of trial and error that the easiest plants that grow really well with no added root tabs or liquid feed needed are Anacharis/Elodea it can either grow floating or you can add a weight to the bottom of a small bunch and stand it on your gravel, Dwarf water lettuce grows really well but if you're not careful it can cover the top of your tank, Anubias Barteri I have attached to a large stone with an elastic band and it has grown well after melting sligthly when first added to my tank, all I did was remove the melted leaves with a sharp pair of scissors and once it got used to the water it has been growing new leaves ever since, and finally you can't go wrong with java moss, I have some attached to some driftwood using string and it is gradually covering it. Hope this gives you some ideas!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bettas are mostly aggressive with other anabantoids. It’s highly unlikely to attack neons, in my experience.
Thanks! I will try it but ill also have a separate tank one hand. Do u think i won't be over tocking with 5-6 neon tetras and a betta? perhaps a snail to clean the algae?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I currently have a 10 gallon with gravel substrate 1 male betta and 2 nerite snails, I have found from a bit of trial and error that the easiest plants that grow really well with no added root tabs or liquid feed needed are Anacharis/Elodea it can either grow floating or you can add a weight to the bottom of a small bunch and stand it on your gravel, Dwarf water lettuce grows really well but if you're not careful it can cover the top of your tank, Anubias Barteri I have attached to a large stone with an elastic band and it has grown well after melting sligthly when first added to my tank, all I did was remove the melted leaves with a sharp pair of scissors and once it got used to the water it has been growing new leaves ever since, and finally you can't go wrong with java moss, I have some attached to some driftwood using string and it is gradually covering it. Hope this gives you some ideas!
Thank you so much! Would the plants you mentioned get out of hand in 2 weeks if not cared for in that time period because there is one time each year that no one can take care of the aquarium for 2 weeks (only the automatic fish feeder =-)) I'm just concerned about how to keep my pH levels low...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes plants do raise the pH by consuming the co2. If you check you should find a pH rise during lights on and fall after lights out. But the pH overall will be much higher then if there were no plants.

my .02
HI! So do you think that live plants would not be a good idea at the moment? I have driftwood but I don't think it made much of a difference... Thanks!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think you would be fine for 2 weeks, but if you wanted to be 100% safe all you would have to do is cut things that grow fast like the anacharis and water lettuce back just before you leave. Also I haven't noticed any major swings in my ph levels since I added the plants but I do have really hard tap water so I don't know if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Thanks! I will try it but ill also have a separate tank one hand. Do u think i won't be over tocking with 5-6 neon tetras and a betta? perhaps a snail to clean the algae?

There are different types of over stocking. Most dangerous kind is when the bioload of your tank exceeds the capacity of the filtration system. This could be way too many fish in the tank, or way to small of a filtration System for the tank. Assuming mediocre filtration and an appropriate feeding regimen, that’s not as issue for you.

Another type of overstocking is the Noah’s ark tank - 100 pairs of fish. Way too many different types of fish. That’s also not an issue for you.

Yet another type of overstocking is getting fish that all occupy the same region of the tank. This one isn’t a problem for you either - neons hang near the bottom and bettas hang at the top.

Another overstocking is keeping super active fish in small spaces. Neons, are not very active. They just kinda mill around. So you don’t have a problem there either.

So no, I don’t think you’d be overstocked with a Betta and half a dozen neons and a snail.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
HI! So do you think that live plants would not be a good idea at the moment? I have driftwood but I don't think it made much of a difference... Thanks!!!
IMHO live plants are always good for a tank. They consume ammonia first, then nitrates, and phosphates, and carbon dioxide while returning fish food and oxygen.

my .02

1 - 12 of 12 Posts