Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 gallon freshwater tropical tank, and was told that a few platties would be a good choice to put in there. When reading about them, I saw that the minimum tank suggestion was 20 gallons. Would this be an o.k. fish to put in a 10 gallon tank? If so, how many/what gender can I keep and could I maybe keep a few bottom feeders like some corys? Thank you!:-D

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
This is a case where it may work, but is not the best. Minimum tank sizes in the fish profiles are intended as a guide to what will be best for the fish's health long-term. This should always be our aim.

I would recommend upgrading to a larger tank if that is possible, or looking at smaller fish more suited to a 10g, of which there are many.

Byron.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Personally, I would go with fancy guppies rather than platies. They come in lots of nice colors and patterns, and they will have way more swimming room in a 10 gallon than platies will.

Apparently Sparkling Gourami can live in a small tank as well, but I have never kept them so really can't recommend them one way or the other. They are a beautiful fish and according to the profile, you could keep a group of 6 in a 10 gallon.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Yea u will be fine I raised 6 platys in a ten gallon and they thrived there and had tons on baby's

+1

With lotsa plants you get lotsa plattys. And the tank runs for years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts