Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I working on my new set up. Are 50 watts too much for a ten gal? Short term goal is to raise my fry (moving from my 20 gal) and once they are big enough to put back in the big tank, I will probably put platys or maybe some small agressive fish in with maybe 2 or 3 small live plants(depends on the size/type of fish I decide to put in).

The tank and lighting strip I bought were the cheapest I could find. The light doesn't take the long tube lights like my other does. It takes 2 small bulbs with a total max of 50 watts.

·
Registered
370 Posts
sounds like incandescant bulbs. Maybe a bit on the high side but shouldn't cause serious problems...just keep an eye on the tank temperature. I wouldn't suggest leaving one bulb out however due to the possibility of water getting into the socket.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
10 gal lighting

Okay, I'm going to show my ignorance...I haven't a clue.. The bulbs are Marina brand and the box simply states Aquarium Light Bulb Long Lasting

·
Registered
370 Posts
compact flourescent normally wouldn't have nearly as high of a wattage from what I've seen. And it would say "compact flourescent" right on the box instead of "aquarium light bulb" most likely :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts