Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i'm a fish keeping newbie, and I just got a 10 and 20 gallon aquarium. The 10 is 10.5 x 20.25 x 15 in (w x l x h). The 20 is about 14 x 26 x 19 in. I purchased the 10 and then my uncle gave me a 20. I think I'll put pool filter sand and plants when I cycle them, but I don't really have any ideas for stocking. I kinda want a centerpiece fish and schooling fish for them. I think I want pygmy cories and shrimp in my 20 and shrimp in my 10, will that work? I would greatly appreciate any ideas!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hello! Since you are new to fish keeping I recommend that you get fish that work with your water conditions. I think that a good start would be to get a decent liquid test kit. You will want to know your ph and also kh and gh values. Also make sure that your home does not have copper pipes. It is easy for shrimp to overdose with copper. They can only handle a miniscule amount. They do need some copper to live, but again just the tiniest amount that occurs either naturally or is in small amounts in some foods. Have you familiarized yourself with the nitrogen cycle yet? There are stickies posted on this forum that will tell you all about it. What are you planning to use for a filter, light etc? I do like the thought of a bunch of little corys. I used to have a bunch. This was one of my favorite tanks. Such cool little fish.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Just reread your post. You obviously know what cycling is. I think you should start off with a bunch of plants during cycling. Corys love lots of plants.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks! I know some about the cycling process because I had a betta in a 10 gallon like 6 years ago and I learned about cycling, but that was the only fish I ever had. I saw the pygmy cories at a fish store and I thought they were cool, so I wanted them in my tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think for the 10 gallon you can go with a scool of neon tetras or zebra danios, shrimp and guppies.
For the 20 gallon you can put a school of neon tetra or zebra danios with one or two anglefish. Maybe you can do something else besiest the school but I am like you. You can go with guppies to. You can have shrimp wit all the fish I listed.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I would stick with nano fish kept in decent numbers. Angels need a way bigger tank than a 20 gallon. I sent you a message?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Yeah I agree, Nano fish of less than 2 inches in length, full grown, for the 10. For the 20, small fish of around 2 inches full grown. While the 20 is twice the volume of the 10, both are small tanks that require small fish.

Reactions: Remy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So my plan for the 20 is 8 or so cories, a school of tetras, maybe some amano shrimp, and dwarf gourami. I don't know how many I can put though. And for the 10 I might do something with male guppies.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I use the methods in my signature

1 - 10 of 10 Posts