Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 gal with 10 barbs, 2 clowns, 1 big redfin (Red) and a brilliant blue African. Red runs the show, but Blue is staking out his territory and everybody seems to be getting along. PH 8.0, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20 ppm. 60% tank change 2 days ago. replaced 1 of two carbon filters (forgot to rinse it).

Both clowns are over a month in the tank. Immediately ate about 500 nasty little snails and the tank was clear as a bell in 36 hrs. They have bonded and are inseparable.

One is now sick - he lays on a sword plant and buddy was right next to him comforting him.

I checked the water temp Saturday (78) b/c I read that too low temp could allow for ich onset and clowns are susceptible. I can't say for sure but I really don't see any ich. Recommendation was 86 temp for two weeks. Temp is now 84.

I am baffled. Both clowns showed no signs of distress until I saw one of them laid out like a hound dog on the plant. No one else is showing the slightest sign of distress and are stoked with the new temp if all the zipping around and grab ass any indication. The one who is sick still gets up and eats food. But he is clearly off his game.

Not sure what to do.

·
Registered
469 Posts
If there are no clear signs externally that something is going on, consider that something may be going on inside like parasites. If he/she is still eating that is definitely a good sign and you should act fast before he/she stops completely. Do you have access to API's General Cure? That would be a good place to start.
🙏

·
Registered
10g: 8 young golden Dalmatian mollies 1 neon tetra 2 nerite snails 10g: 2 nerites, soon molies fr t1
240 Posts
How long have you had them?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About 2 months. Normal behavior, normal intake, normal breathing. Then one started laying in that plant. If I introduce food, he zips right out and charges in with the rest of them. I have inspected him closely and see no sign of ich.
Perhaps I am just being over cautious. After the ammonia tank catastrophe that was all my fault earlier this year, I am rather sensitive to changes in behavior. That's why I know what my water measurements are now. Red is the only survivor. It was bad.

·
Registered
10g: 8 young golden Dalmatian mollies 1 neon tetra 2 nerite snails 10g: 2 nerites, soon molies fr t1
240 Posts
Yea. I dunno. If everything then is in check, than just keep an eye on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts