Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
-   Aquarium Products Reviews (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/aquarium-products-reviews/)
-   -   the value of a good test kit (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/aquarium-products-reviews/value-good-test-kit-706685/)

Den Socling 09-09-2018 09:51 PM

the value of a good test kit

I'm new here and I'm not sure where to start this thread. Also, I'm sure that many of you know that a good water testing kit is a good thing to have. After a 25 year lapse, I decided to set up an aquarium once again. My fish were dropping dead as fast as I was buying them. I thought our well water was fine for the aquarium but I bought an API freshwater master test kit. What I immediately found out was that our well water was extremely alkaline. I tried fish that could tolerate the high PH but was still losing fish. Just one or two a day. Now I get all of the aquarium from a spring that gushes water out at the foot of a mountain. It test 7.0 and has solved the dead fish problem. BTW I had tried natural drift wood but it wasn't bringing the PH down. I'm lucky to have the spring a couple miles from home.

ManyTankKeeper 09-10-2018 09:40 AM

Your Tank

Quote:

Originally Posted by Den Socling (Post 7476815)
I'm new here and I'm not sure where to start this thread. Also, I'm sure that many of you know that a good water testing kit is a good thing to have. After a 25 year lapse, I decided to set up an aquarium once again. My fish were dropping dead as fast as I was buying them. I thought our well water was fine for the aquarium but I bought an API freshwater master test kit. What I immediately found out was that our well water was extremely alkaline. I tried fish that could tolerate the high PH but was still losing fish. Just one or two a day. Now I get all of the aquarium from a spring that gushes water out at the foot of a mountain. It test 7.0 and has solved the dead fish problem. BTW I had tried natural drift wood but it wasn't bringing the PH down. I'm lucky to have the spring a couple miles from home.

Den...

Have you cycled the tank? The problem may not be the minerals. There may be traces of ammonia in the water. Starting up a tank really requires using a very hardy species of fish. Probably the toughest fish out there are Rosy Red Minnows. I used them in a 40 gallon plastic bucket while I sent up my 300 gallon tank and they thrive in very marginal water conditions. You might give them a try to cycle your tank.

MTK

Den Socling 09-10-2018 10:18 AM

Thank you, MTK, ammonia was a problem in the beginning but has been zero for a long time.