Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
-   Cichlids (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Firemouth Cichlids + Tankmates (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/firemouth-cichlids-tankmates-700594/)

Oblivionblues 09-05-2017 05:47 AM

Firemouth Cichlids + Tankmates

Hi there :)

I'm completely new to this site, so hello!

I have a 50 gallon tank (Approx, it's a bit bigger), and am looking at fish to stock it with.

I'm particularly interested in breeding medium sized cichlids, and have settled on firemouths as an interesting possibility. I have the tank mostly set up for them, with lots of caves and rocks and hiding places etc, but don't plan on buying them for a few weeks yet.

I'm mostly wondering about possible tankmates. I'd want a pair of firemouths and a few other fish. I'm not a massive barb or livebearer fan, so I think I'd prefer to steer clear of those. I've been reading in books and online, and unfortunately barbs seem quite commonly recommended - does anyone know of any other options?

I would plan on having a pleco of some sort, and hopefully a few bottom feeders like corys or loaches. I'm just not sure whether corys and loaches would be able to deal with a pair of firemouths?

Any recommendations or advice would be amazing!

Cheers :wink3:

jaysee 09-06-2017 09:17 AM

Welcome

Firemouths are pretty docile, comparatively speaking, so you have quite a few options for stocking. There are really only a few types of fish you can keep, in that or any other tank - Tetras, barbs, danios and rainbows. For the most part, the fish in each group all act the same so it's just a matter of what you want to see go on in your tank.

In my opinion Tetras are boring, so I look at them as filler fish - they pretty much just take up space, milling around like zombies. Barbs are one of my favorites. They are not mindless like the Tetras are, and their group dynamic is quite interesting to watch. Danios are typically just hyperactive simpletons - like Tetras but much more active. And then there are rainbows, which are similar to the danios in behavior, but they add in the interest of the barbs. Rainbows are very inquisitive about things outside the tank. Each group has species that are suitable to live with firemouths.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing, doesn't go away"

rawhideshaba 09-08-2017 02:40 PM

I would suggest a group of firemouths to cut down on aggression. I had 3 at one point and they would attack everything in the tank no matter the size. So i grabbed 2 more and they became very nice non aggressive fish. It was like they wanted a family lol. But thats just my own experience. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jaysee 09-08-2017 03:04 PM

They are known for forming families - that's a good point and suggestion.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing, doesn't go away"

Oblivionblues 09-08-2017 07:15 PM

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I really appreciate it :) Maybe I'll even try barbs again :P

I plan to go down to my local fish shop sometime this week just to have a look at their stock and ask about what they can get in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawhideshaba (Post 7447322)
I would suggest a group of firemouths to cut down on aggression. I had 3 at one point and they would attack everything in the tank no matter the size. So i grabbed 2 more and they became very nice non aggressive fish. It was like they wanted a family lol. But thats just my own experience. Good luck!

That sounds like a good suggestion, but I'm a it worried my tank might not be quite up to size. It's not much over 50 gallons, so I'd be concerned that there wouldn't really be enough space. How large was the tank you were keeping them in?

Another quick question, how to firemouths typically react towards bottom feeders? I've had some cichlids in the past that just ignored them, while others seemed to greatly enjoy chasing and pecking at them. I'm mostly talking about corys and loaches, but I have a half grown pleco that I'd be interesting in putting in with the firemouths too and I'd hate for her to get injured.

Thanks again!

jeaninel 09-12-2017 11:41 AM

What are the dimensions of your 50 gallon? I kept 6 firemouths in my 4 foot 75 gallon. It was a species only tank with no other tank mates, lots of driftwood, plants and large rocks. I would skip the cories as the firemouths can get pretty territorial, especially when guarding eggs.

rawhideshaba 09-13-2017 08:25 PM

I had them with a only 2 or 3 messy fish (jack dempsey, pike cichlid, a bichir,and 6" green phantom) since most fish werent able to defend themselves against this combo of fish so that was full stock for quite a while. And they were in a 55 gallon. I would not suggest that heavy a load of filthy fish without a large filter as i had. Fx4 and powerhead for deadspots. Plus plants.

Oblivionblues 09-20-2017 04:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the replies! I'm sorry it took so long to get back to this, I'm in the middle of exams at the moment.

My tank is 37" by 17.5" and 17" high. I'll attach a pic of my filter info too. It's been set up and running for a few weeks but I haven't set anything up yet.

If corys wont work any ideas on options for bottom feeders? I'd like to have a few if possible :)

Oblivionblues 10-29-2017 05:38 PM

~Bumping thread~

aussieJJDude 10-29-2017 09:40 PM

I would suggest not keeping any bottom dweller, especially if you're thinking of breeding them/letting them pair up. At most, I'd suggest a BN or two since they only come out when there is food, otherwise they spend most of their days in their little hidy spots/caves.