Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
-   TFK.com Suggestions, Feedback, and Help. (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tfk-com-suggestions-feedback-help/)
-   -   New site look and software upgrade Feedback Thread (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tfk-com-suggestions-feedback-help/new-site-look-software-upgrade-feedback-692209/)

Admin_Yungster 05-16-2016 12:39 PM

New site look and software upgrade Feedback Thread

Hello Everyone,

We're proud to announce that the new site look and feel has been completed for TropicalFishKeeping.com! Our designers and software engineers have been hard at work on this for several months. It's designed to modernize the site, make it easier to use, and to make it more attractive to new members and guests that visit .

The forum software we use, vBulletin, by default is not designed to be friendly to the eyes or to look modern. We went down to the nuts and bolts of the forum software and templates, and have done a ground up approach. There are several things you will notice now that the new design is live.

1) The site should be significantly faster.

We have applied every modern technique to speed up page load and tested with all modern browsers. We want the forum to be extremely fast and easy to use.

2) The site will work much better in mobile and tablet views

We've started applying responsive design, and have designed and tested against android and iPhone devices, Android tablets, and iPads. If you are sitting at your desk or on your couch, or just on your phone, the site will work much better than it did before, and load fast. We are still working on improving the experience even further in the months to come, but we wanted to launch this as quickly as we could.

3) The homepage is bright, crisp and clean.

We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join TropicalFishKeeping.com, they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in.

4) Garages will be featured on the site

You can show off your Tank, You can post pictures in your Aquirum and share it with others. Make sure you post up some images to share with the community at the link below.
https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/garage.php?do=index

5) Users will be able to register with Facebook

6) The side bar can be hidden in your user options.

Click on my profile / user cp at the top right.

- click on edit your details on the left.
- Look for Show Sidebar on Forum Pages under Additional Information.
- Click disable and save.

7) Another new great feature is the @Mention user plugin. You can tag members by simply using the @ symbol.

8) Drag and Drop image uploader

We hope you enjoy it, and if you have any questions on the design, please let us know, feedback is appreciated.

If there are any issues you see. Post them up here and we will get them worked out.

Thanks,
-Your TropicalFishKeeping.com Team.

Admin_Yungster 05-16-2016 01:07 PM

NOTE:

There will be some work still being down when we go live, I will let you know once the site is 100% complete.

Outstanding issues:
- Homepage population
- Aquarium uses auto terms and will update with aquatic
- Subforum icons
- Various settings and back end work which could cause some minor bugs.

Be patient and we will have all sorted within 24 hours.

Jeff M

Admin_Yungster 05-16-2016 03:06 PM

BUMP we are now Live!!

Jeff M

Admin_Yungster 05-16-2016 03:09 PM

Time to rock and roll TFK!!

Yung

NickAu 05-16-2016 05:25 PM

Hi Yung

Sorry to say but i do not like the new layout, I will wander back to the Betta fish section now. Hopefully you are not planing to change the look there.

Nick

RussellTheShihTzu 05-16-2016 05:59 PM

1. Can't get Classic version to stick. If I exit TFK when I come back it is the new version.

2. Reported posts are not showing up. When following link the V message is: "No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

3. Do not like the new layout. Too busy. At least I can get to the classic version by hitting "Forums."

Admin_Yungster 05-16-2016 07:54 PM

Sorry to hear this Nick. Hopefully over time, it will grow on you. We're doing the Bettafish makeover tomorrow.

Yung

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickAu (Post 7411809)
Hi Yung

Sorry to say but i do not like the new layout, I will wander back to the Betta fish section now. Hopefully you are not planing to change the look there.

Nick

Romad 05-16-2016 08:25 PM

I think that like anything else it's just a matter of getting used to it. Am going to have fun playing around for now.

SirReal303 05-16-2016 08:46 PM

The live chat has been removed?

Romad 05-16-2016 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirReal303 (Post 7411865)
The live chat has been removed?

I just found it under Tools, Quick Links

Phew! Now we need to get more people in there!

SirReal303 05-16-2016 08:56 PM

Holy cow it was hard enough getting people in there before it was contained in a sub menu.

Romad 05-16-2016 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirReal303 (Post 7411881)
Holy cow it was hard enough getting people in there before it was contained in a sub menu.

True. Maybe it can be put back up on the main page?

Romad 05-16-2016 09:29 PM

Under Aquarium, My Aquarium, it gives me the option to add a "vehicle" but not an aquarium.

I doubt that anyone cares about my Rav4 ;)

NickAu 05-17-2016 04:29 AM

Ok I found a solution I can look at the site in terminal.

Yes Yes I know I'm a geek
http://i66.tinypic.com/1zq3ud2.png

Wow I only have 2 posts.

Anyway the new look will grow on us, Thanks for your hard work improving the site.

Slightly off topic.

I am a member of ARS Technica and they updated the site similar to what you guys did, They got 20 plus pages of complaint replies.

Tourmaline 05-17-2016 04:48 AM

One thing.. Mobile view is HORRIBLE. I go on this site and Bettafish primarily on mobile. I have to use the full view to get anywhere anyway, it seems pointless to have a mobile view if it's absolutely useless. Full view is slightly more tolerable.

I have a feeling I'm going to hate the layout of Bettafish once everything is said and done, but what can ya do?

And I have 14 posts? And I'm a new member? I hope that goes back to normal once BF is back up. And my signature color.. Ugh. I'm going to need to remake them for people now, but that's a personal problem.

Admin_Yungster 05-17-2016 02:07 PM

@Tourmaline and @NickAu

I'm guessing you're mentioning your post count because it doesn't currently reflect what it should be..is that correct? I'll look in to your post count history and see if we can get this fixed.

Yung

jeaninel 05-17-2016 02:52 PM

Ugh like stated above I'm mostly on my mobile too. Couldn't stand the mobile version so I'm also using the full version. Not liking adjusting to where everything is now but just gotta get used to it. :/

LittleStar 05-17-2016 04:07 PM

Hello, Just found this page it should be really visible to everyone logging in, so many surely have questions, I can't figure out how to update my aquarium logs, I can click on them in my signature link and go to the Freshwater Aquariums listings, but its not the same as it was before, when there was a clear Aquarium Log link at the top of the forum and you edited your log from that page. Help! TY!
Found it! You go Tools/Quick Links/Fish Tanks and that will take you to edit mode.
I deleted my tanks ads all over the place, pages only loading half way.
Removed from my sig block for now.

I miss the old site. I know this always happens when there is change any time and often people end up liking the new site, but I just don't time for this right now. Back to gardening!

lilnaugrim 05-17-2016 05:19 PM

The only thing I'd like to do on TFK is have the banner possibly changed? I know we have a Salt section but we mostly do Tropical freshwater fish. Is it possible to reflect that eventually? I know when I first go onto a site, the pictures are usually a reflection on the community. Idk, maybe it will bring in more salt people? Either way, I think it should be focused more on Tropical fish since that's what we're mostly about?

NickAu 05-17-2016 08:24 PM

Ok I take it back, The new layout is growing on me, Thank you for all the hard work you guys put in.

NickAu 05-17-2016 09:20 PM

Yes Yes Im a PINTA.

I just found the chat button, Could it be moved next to the Tools button? Where members will see it.

Anyway I do not have enough posts to get into the chat room, I guess my posts on Bettafish.com don't count.

BettaBoy11 05-18-2016 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 7411897)
Under Aquarium, My Aquarium, it gives me the option to add a "vehicle" but not an aquarium.

Yeah... That confuses me too! How do I add an aquarium?

Also, are TFK posts seperate from Bettafish.com posts now? My post count is only '2'. I've only made 2 posts that weren't on the Betta fish section of TFK or bettafish.com. So bettafish.com posts no longer count for the TFK post count?
EDIT: I've actually made 4 posts on TFK, so there must be some bug regarding the post count.

Admin_Yungster 05-18-2016 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 7411897)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BettaBoy11 (Post 7412161)
Yeah... That confuses me too! How do I add an aquarium?

Also, are TFK posts seperate from Bettafish.com posts now? My post count is only '2'. I've only made 2 posts that weren't on the Betta fish section of TFK or bettafish.com. So bettafish.com posts no longer count for the TFK post count?
EDIT: I've actually made 4 posts on TFK, so there must be some bug regarding the post count.

Yungster will be working with the teams to update the aquarium terminology and update it to Aquarium related terms.

Stand by for updates.

Jeff M

badxgillen 05-20-2016 11:02 AM

I may have missed it but was there a reason for the fresh new look? New software? Just wanting a change? I know my Marine Aquarium Society changed servers last year and it was a bit of a transition but in the end it was for the better. Just wondering whats up?

And I might be looking in the wrong sections but can some one maybe point me in the right direction of the unanswered posts?

Admin_Yungster 05-20-2016 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badxgillen (Post 7412361)
I may have missed it but was there a reason for the fresh new look? New software? Just wanting a change? I know my Marine Aquarium Society changed servers last year and it was a bit of a transition but in the end it was for the better. Just wondering whats up?

And I might be looking in the wrong sections but can some one maybe point me in the right direction of the unanswered posts?

Yes,

The four sites shared a database and there were some issues with overlap and Google search. The updates are also for improved speed, features, security and a lot more pleasing on the eyes.

Jeff M

brownmane 05-21-2016 07:25 PM

Just visiting the new site setup. It looks good. And it does load fast. One thing that I can't find is the photo contest section. I always enjoy seeing everyone's pics and try to vote monthly.

And I like the gallery section. I could spend days just going through it.

Admin_Yungster 05-21-2016 08:12 PM

We're going to fix the photo contest soon.

Yung

Tourmaline 05-21-2016 08:14 PM

No word on fixing the pasting issue on Android phones?

Admin_Yungster 05-21-2016 08:27 PM

I'll have our team look into the pasting issue next week with Android devices. I only have Apple devices so I can't do any testing on my own.

Yung

jeaninel 05-22-2016 06:08 PM

I wanted to update one of my freshwater journals but it has been awhile. I got a message to click the box under the Quick Reply box but I don't see anything. How do I update an older thread?

kedi 05-22-2016 09:22 PM

I found the old site to be more obvious to navigate. Less looking through menus. I joined it because it immediately looked like it had a lot of users and showed a full range of what it contained. That in your face content variety is now hidden in drop down menu structures. I feel it now looks more generic. Less serious and informative at first glance.
But that is just opinion. I do appreciate that you are trying to improve. It is a lot of work. Thanks.

aussieJJDude 05-22-2016 11:19 PM

Is it possible to change the vehicle "aquarium settings" into something more aquarium orientated?
Its a bit hard in filling out all the info if I don't know the make and model of my aquarium, or the modifications.... even wheel and tire...

(Um what? is this a car forum or a fish forum)...

I like the change, but some things really need to be addressed IMO.

Admin_Yungster 05-23-2016 11:36 AM

Hi,

We'll get the aquarium gallery wordings corrected this week.

Yung

gramp 05-23-2016 02:28 PM

I finally found "My Fish Tanks" in the drop down menu under Tools.
The problem is when I enter anything in the "maintenance log" it doesn't update with the new entry. The same problem with "Parameters" entry.
Are we going to have to create a new Aquarium after you fix that section this week or will my old fish tank be moved there?

Hallyx 05-23-2016 02:56 PM

That darn arrow/tab on the right, up against my vertical scroll bar -- it pulls-over a "recent discussions" list. Pretty useless on its face, and it covers any text that over there and the "Reply" scrollbar.

The forums are now three clicks deep and not that easy to find or access -- as per Jeanninel's criticism above. The menu on the User CP now only contains Betta.com threads

It's harder to get over to TFK and back (used to be one click on a pull-down menu). Have you seen the deplorable drop-off in activity on TFK?

The "reply" field displays a serif font, whereas the "posts" are san serif. This is confusing. And it doesn't columnate the same (of course it never did, but it's not any better).

On my User CP, I don't get a "recently subscribed threads" list when opening. After I visit the Betta forums, my CP then shows subscribed threads.

It was more convenient to get a quick read on new members at one glance on the old Personal page. Now I have to scroll past all that wasted space.

I used to get to Betta.com through TFK where the sidebar (avatar column) member info used to include years of experience, which it still does. But now I have to use the Betta.com side for Betta threads, which does not have this feature. I found that important when evaluating input from new members, or as an impetus to checking their personal page.

Have you been monitoring participation? I can already see a slowdown. I'm sure it will come back, but.....

It's nice to have a "Like" button in Betta.com. (I had to say something nice) ;-}

CollegeBettas 05-23-2016 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramp (Post 7412729)
I finally found "My Fish Tanks" in the drop down menu under Tools.
The problem is when I enter anything in the "maintenance log" it doesn't update with the new entry. The same problem with "Parameters" entry.
Are we going to have to create a new Aquarium after you fix that section this week or will my old fish tank be moved there?

I just ran into this problem as well. I was trying to figure out when I had last done a water change since I just started a new routine (I do not have a set water change day now). The last update on my tanks in from 9 days ago. Today I went in and discovered what I put in yesterday was not there. I am hoping this gets fixed soon as I am sure a good number of people use it as their logging system.

NickAu 05-24-2016 04:00 AM

I guess the posts on Bettafish.com don't count? Total Posts, 2,227
Sorry, you have not made enough posts to access the chat room yet.

NickAu 05-24-2016 07:18 AM

Also

Can we have button for chat on bettafish.com like we do here? When clicked it would bring you to the chatroom?
From what I see the Betta section gets a lot of traffic but most members don't know chat is there because they log into bettafish,

jeaninel 06-05-2016 11:48 AM

Did anyone figure out how to add aquariums? And what happened to my existing aquarium logs? They are still shown in the aquarium tab by my avatar in posts but I can't find how to edit them. :(

brownmane 06-05-2016 11:17 PM

Jeaninel, if you go to "quick links", "my fish tank", I think that that is what you are looking for. My tank shows up with it's title and then if I click on the "down" arrow icon, it goes into my tank details. There is an "add aquarium" icon as well, but I haven't gone farther into it.