Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
-   Cichlids (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   55g Aquarium Journal (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/55g-aquarium-journal-664554/)

Warhawk 04-18-2016 12:47 PM

Nice convict I really like them and I agree with Jeaninel I would call that a marbled.

Good luck finding a Firemouth I looked for about a month before I could find mine. They are a great fish and loads of colors. I found mine a Meijer (large change store like walmart)

As for the fish that caused the death I would guess it was the JD. I have keep those and mine was the meanest fish I had ever keep. I traded my last one into the local fish store after he killed my oscars, the oscars where twice the size of the JD.

collinskev 04-18-2016 01:33 PM

I looked up some pictures and I would say that he is definitely a marbled convict.

Thats pretty impressive that your JD took out your oscars. Kind of banking on the fact that the cichlids are all juveniles so that they get along when they all get bigger.

Warhawk 04-18-2016 01:59 PM

I always heard Oscars where aggressive fish but after having some they are big babys. They will eat anything that fits in their mouths but don't really bother fish that are too big to eat whole. 8)

Growing up together may or may not help. I have tried it and it has worked but some times it doesn't. The convict should be able to hold his own but the firemouth is normally more bark than bite. Also watch for the different growth rates to make sure everyone stays close to the same size.

collinskev 04-18-2016 05:05 PM

I took a page from Warhawk's book today and made a little video of me hand feeding my JD. I hope you like it. I have another video of the entire tank uploading now that will show everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4l-L2h6TSk

collinskev 04-18-2016 06:28 PM

Here is the video of the tank feeding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgQBO-v6z5w

Warhawk 04-19-2016 08:20 AM

Not sure that is my book I copied it from others. LOL Videos are some times easier for sure.

Nice tank, I can tell your Firemouth is kinda skid-dish like mine are. I hope mine get over that soon they are great fish.

samz 04-22-2016 06:26 PM

I have never kept Jack Dempsey's, but a friend of mine told me his was 5 inches and put a hole in his plecostomus. I wanted to put one in with my Oscars, but like Warhawk's mine are huge babies lol.

You mentioned using vegetable oil when putting your backround on, and I was wondering what the benefit of doing that was. Does it help it stick to the glass or make it easier to keep air bubbles from between the glass and the backround? My wife usually helps me with mine (actually I help her lol) and most times we get frustrated and end up arguing, so if there's an easier way I'd love to hear about it.

collinskev 04-22-2016 11:16 PM

The backing didn't have adhesive on it, so the only other option was glue. It is supposed to be removable with vegetable oil.

collinskev 04-25-2016 09:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
So I went down to petsmart and they had a pair of peacock eels in. I got one of them; he's about 7" long right now and seems to be very active and healthy.

This is a very picture heavy post, with some cool shots that I managed to get of the eel, he JD, and the firemouth.

I knew that the peacock eel would be difficult to get to feed at first. I fully expected the challenge. The first day I got him, I got him to eat a small earthworm. The petstore said that they fed them blood worms and sinking shrimp pellets. He has turned his nose up at everything else I have offered him since, even more earthworms placed directly in front of him and the other fish distracted elsewhere.

Have any of you had experience with spiny eels? Some things I have read have said they they have had their eels for years and never once seen them eat anything. It seems like many places say that they only take live / frozen food, but would they scavenge around the tank at night eating scraps?

I think that this thread will become more of a journal of all of my tanks. I don't know if I should start a new one, or if just adding it onto this one will be fine.

I also managed to get 2 nice female guppies from petsmart. Unlike my petco ones who swam behind the filter and died in a day, these ones are healthy and strong. One is also pregnant which is exciting.

I apologize for the long post that has ended up being a bit of just stream of conscience, but I had it all on my mind to put down here somewhere. I'll let you get the pictures now.

Warhawk 04-26-2016 08:41 AM

I have never keep peacock eels but when I wanted to make sure my more shy fish where eating well I would take some small bits of chicken livers and out it under the rocks they hide in. Did this every day and after a few days they learn what that is and will grab it fast. My Bichir loves it and now is all over the tank. I would double check to make sure the peacock eels diet and make sure he can have meat.

Looks like everyone is doing fine I really like the colors of the JD. I really like those fish but I won't keep them anymore(bad memories).