Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
-   Cichlids (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   55g Aquarium Journal (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/55g-aquarium-journal-664554/)

collinskev 02-29-2016 05:54 PM

55g Aquarium Journal

1 Attachment(s)
I'm setting up a new 55g gallon aquarium which is going to be my largest yet. Wanted to try something new and journal about it as I go. I am planning on having a JD, a firemouth, a convict, a peacock eel, and some tiger barbs. A nice setup with driftwood and rocks for the landscaping with pool filter sand as a substrate. I ordered the stuff, and have just started to receive packages in the mail. Still waiting for Petco to have a dollar a gallon sale, but that will come in good time. I picked the wrong filter in the checkout getting a 50 instead of a 55/75 so I will probably get a smaller secondary filter in the future. I'm getting more excited every day :lol:

Warhawk 03-01-2016 01:20 PM

Looking forward to watching it come together. Petco did a $1 per gallon in Jan so it should be around April or May(I heard they do it 3 times a year).

collinskev 03-01-2016 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhawk (Post 7133450)
Looking forward to watching it come together. Petco did a $1 per gallon in Jan so it should be around April or May(I heard they do it 3 times a year).

I called my petco, and they guy said he didn't know, but he guesses early March. Also keeping an eye on my local craigslist for anything promising.

Bilbo Baggins 03-02-2016 12:59 PM

That looks like a great tank you have planned there, will be interesting to watch it all take shape. Good Luck.

Thalanaya 03-05-2016 04:36 PM

Dollar a gallon sale

I did not know they did this. I am excited as I want to get a larger tank. I will have to watch out for this sale! Your tank projects sound interesting and can't wait to see it all come together.

collinskev 03-06-2016 10:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The light fixture came yesterday, and it looks good. A little reminder of how big this tank is going to be compared to my other tanks :lol:

Still waiting on Petco...

Thalanaya 03-14-2016 01:35 PM

When petco does this sale do they go up to 75 gallon tanks? That is what I am looking for. :-P

Warhawk 03-14-2016 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thalanaya (Post 7185026)
When petco does this sale do they go up to 75 gallon tanks? That is what I am looking for. :-P

No they only 10, 20 L, 20 T, 29, 40breeder and 55g. The only place I have heard about that does 75g is Uncle Bills and they told me last week they won't be doing that sale any more because Marine Land (manufacturer) wasn't making enough money.

collinskev 03-29-2016 09:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Good News! Petco has finally put their tanks on sale!

I picked up the 55g yesterday and did the initial setup. I have some rocks in the tank, and also picked up a piece of driftwood. I like the arrangement, and I think that it leaves enough places to hide, yet still looks nice.

I have the first filter, a 250 gph aqueon, and the 200w aquatop heater in the tank now.

Next paycheck I plan on getting another filter for a total of near 500 gph just to keep everything moving in such a long skinny tank. I put some media that I had stored in the filter of my existing tank, as well as the filter pad into the new filter to jump start the cycling process.

I might get a few fish today, but let me know if that is too soon, even with the parts of the old filter. Depending on how much money I have, the schooling fish, and maybe the convict / firemouth. Small fish, but let me know what you think.

I am taking a water sample to my petstore today to have the ph etc. tested, just to make sure that there are no issues there.

The sand I used in this tank is quikrete all purpose sand that was 2.97 for a 50lb bag, so I got 2 bags. Sorry for the length, but I just wanted to fill you all in on what's going on. Here are a few pics of the tank.

Warhawk 03-29-2016 09:43 AM

Looks nice.

I would suggest start running your filter on your other tank to get the cycle started. It can tank 2-3 weeks to seed a filter but will save you a lot of time when setting up the new tank. Once you have cycled media fill up the tank and let it site for 3-4 days with the heater and lights working, after that you can add fish and your cycled filters.