Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
-   Saltwater Journals (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-journals/)
-   -   40b reef build (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-journals/40b-reef-build-624330/)

LouisvilleMarc 11-12-2015 01:38 PM

40b reef build

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, Welcome to my first reef! Attached you'll see (hopefully) pictures of where I'm at so far. The clearer water picture is about 3 days after I put water and sand in. 80 lbs of Ocean Direct Caribean Live sand and about 10 lbs of live rock. The more cloudy picture is after I raked the sand to level it out some once I was able to see that it needed leveled lol. So I'm guessing I'll have a couple/few days again to let everything settle before I start to arrange the dry rock mixed in with the live rock. Until then...happy fish keeping!

Oh...still working on all the equipment. But it currently has a maxi-jet 400, Marineland heater rated for a 55g and a 2 bulb Solarmax T5HO light. However, I will be upgrading the light to a 4 bulb Coralife T5HO unit withing a week and a half or so.
The skimmer will be added a little later as well. I've been taught by the best to be patient and take a saltwater/reef build slow...so...slow it is.

LouisvilleMarc 11-13-2015 03:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The cloudiness has diminished enough for me to put the rest of my rock in. I'm sure I'll be moving it around once everything settles. It's kind of tricky with a 40b size tank when you are planning on setting up a reef. Not alot of room to go "up". So I'll be tinkering a bit. At this point I just wanted all the rock in to begin seeding/curing.

LouisvilleMarc 11-19-2015 01:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just a couple pictures to update the progress. Water and sand have been in for about 2 weeks. Rock in for just over 1 week. Signs of a Diatom bloom are present with some color showing on the sand. As you can see, one of my crabs is happy about it as he follows the trail.

LouisvilleMarc 11-25-2015 10:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Update on the reef. Added 2 small frags. A green star polyp and Orange spot polyp. I've tested my water for KH and Calcium over the last couple weeks. For the first time Calcium and Alk dropped so I dosed a buffer and calcium. I see this as a good sign as it indicates something(s) is utilizing the calcium in the water...i.e. Coraline Algae, Coral, etc...

Pasfur 11-25-2015 06:39 PM

Saw this tank in person yesterday... looking great!