Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
-   Livebearers (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Breeding Mollies (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/breeding-mollies-611498/)

mj29nd 10-01-2015 07:11 AM

Breeding Mollies

Hi. I am relatively new to this aquarium world and is interested in breeding mollies. I have a big size female black molly and a medium size male gold molly. I have read about 2 or 3 females to 1 male ratio and added 1 small size dalmation female molly. But it was fin nipped and harrassed by the big black female molly and died. Currently the gold male constantly chases around the black female and once while changing water I kept them in a small bucket and harrassed by the male the female jumped out. Luckily I was there and gently put her back. I have provided a hiding place but have not separated them yet. I want to add another female molly but cannot decide. Should I get another big black female molly or a medium gold female molly?? If I get a big black female will the big black females kill my medium gold male?

KathyR 10-02-2015 06:59 AM

The odds of them killing each other is very slim. I would just get more fish to stabilize the aggression more. Also, if you heavily decorate the tank it will help aggression because fish can hide better. Here is a good site MollyFish.com - Caring for Molly "Mollies" Fish with Community you can also mix guppies and other live bearers with mollies too

mj29nd 10-02-2015 07:25 AM

But my big molly female killed the small female. That is why I was thinking if two big females will kill my medium male molly. Or can I get a medium female molly or will it also be killed by the big female?

Warhawk 10-05-2015 09:44 AM

Normally females won't harm males. So you can add another female and you should be fine. I would suggest adding adult females because if they are a lot smaller they could be stressed.

I would also suggest putting a good bit of stuff in the tank so the fish can have a hiding place. What will happen the male will pick a female and harass her to breed until something else catches his attention. So having a 2 or 3 females means his attention is spread out and giving them hiding places allows them to relax a little bit.

As far as a black molly or gold they are the same fish the difference is color. They should be able to interbreed no problem but as far as what the babies will look like I have no idea. I breed more guppies and enlders. I have a few mollies but they are still young.

henningc 10-06-2015 02:13 AM

I don't know how big the tank is so I'll guess at least 15 gal. If it is a 15gal-20gal two more large female mollys and a dither fish such as a large female Enlder should do the trick.

Dharmaraj 10-13-2015 02:00 AM

I've 3 females (while, orange and black) and 2 males (white and black) both are slightly smaller than female. No specific breeding program needed, simply provide them good variety food.. in 4-6 weeks you'll have fries.
Mine Black female gave birth to 30odd (some are pure white, Pure black and some looks like dalmation)

henningc 10-19-2015 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I obtained two good size trios of red sunset sailfins in May. I put them in a kiddie pool in a breeding cage. Now that the harvest is over almost 400 is the count. Little more than I anticipated.