Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
-   Ponds and Waterfalls (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ponds-waterfalls/)
-   -   Winter kill spawns new life (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ponds-waterfalls/winter-kill-spawns-new-life-549722/)

Roccus 04-22-2015 09:17 AM

Winter kill spawns new life

2 Attachment(s)
this winter was especially brutal here in the north east.. at one point I had 5' of snow on my winter cover on my ornamental pond... part of it collapsed and tripped the GFI shutting down the heater and circulation pump...I never knew it until the snow melted.. it froze deep enough to kill all (30) goldfish... some as old as 10 years.. some as news as last years spawn)... all were descendants of an original stocking of 12 fish... I used the opportunity to improve upon my original design... the filtration was always an issue... a 12" X 12" filter basket in the bottom of the pond was miserable to clean.. and when the pine needles were shedding it was a daily event to skim the pond manually and drag the filter up from the bottom to clean it... I procured a 30 gallon plastic drum and dug a hole deep enough to submerge it next to the pond... I added 10lbs of coarse crushed rock to the bottom and hard piped the 650GPH Danner mag drive pump to the water fall and piped in bypass and drain valves to be used for winterization .. a 12" square basket was fitted in the sump and the liner pulled in to create a skimmer( a small grate guards the entrance from curious fish)... I reworked the water fall to make if 2 stage and made a bench for my statuary.. I also fitted a 300 GPH pump for my cherub water feature.. it sits on a 24" square block that serves as the cover for the sump.. I've included a picture from what it looked like last year and what it looks like now...the pond is currently cycling using unscented ammonia and "seed" from my 65 gallon fresh water tank filter. Unfortunately.. the water is under 50 degrees and for now ..the nitrifying bacteria I want to build are dormant... so stocking is a month or so away..

willow 04-30-2015 07:26 AM

hey
oh my gosh,so sorry for the loss,that's mega sad :-(
but glad you're able to make some changes,and still carry on.
i wish i lived near you,i have last years babies,and the year before that
need re homing.but that doesn't help i know.

Roccus 04-30-2015 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow (Post 6082738)
hey
oh my gosh,so sorry for the loss,that's mega sad :-(
but glad you're able to make some changes,and still carry on.
i wish i lived near you,i have last years babies,and the year before that
need re homing.but that doesn't help i know.

Thank you ..how are you my friend,. I hope this day finds you well...it's been a long winter..spring still hasn't really 'sprung" here... the water in my pond is still only 48F...not warm enough to support growth of the nitrifying bacteria I need to support fish....but dealing with the loss is like every thing life hands out .. you dust yourself off and carry on... good hearing from you!

willow 04-30-2015 08:15 AM

hey :-D
i'm ok thank you,and hope you are too :-D
spring here is springing away,and my pond lilly has woken up,and the leaves
are now opening up on the water,i had an abundant amount of
frogs spawn,however this year it appears not to have amounted to
anything,which is a little unusual,one of my original gold fish seem to have grown
a lump on his head ???? looks like a pea,he's acting normal,and it does not
seem to be growing any larger,so i don't know what that's all about.
i was a little harsh with the cut back of pond weed last year,i'm hoping i haven't
done too much damage.

Roccus 04-30-2015 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow (Post 6082818)
hey :-D
i'm ok thank you,and hope you are too :-D
spring here is springing away,and my pond lilly has woken up,and the leaves
are now opening up on the water,i had an abundant amount of
frogs spawn,however this year it appears not to have amounted to
anything,which is a little unusual,one of my original gold fish seem to have grown
a lump on his head ???? looks like a pea,he's acting normal,and it does not
seem to be growing any larger,so i don't know what that's all about.
i was a little harsh with the cut back of pond weed last year,i'm hoping i haven't
done too much damage.

My wife get's "harsh:" with the pruning ( my rose bushes as well") it always seems to turn out OK... I'm sure yours will too... they are promising warmer temps next week ( 70's) ..I can only hope... I'm tired of sweatshirts and jackets!

willow 04-30-2015 08:30 AM

i find it amazing now that we are having a little more sun here,
that the pond is going quite green already,i'm not able to afford a uv,
so they will have to wait until the plants grow a little more,the duck weed
is finally under control,and i keep a little net especially for that,sometimes
i pop a little in the aquarium,but under watch,and it grows mental in there.:-D

Roccus 04-30-2015 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow (Post 6082914)
i find it amazing now that we are having a little more sun here,
that the pond is going quite green already,i'm not able to afford a uv,
so they will have to wait until the plants grow a little more,the duck weed
is finally under control,and i keep a little net especially for that,sometimes
i pop a little in the aquarium,but under watch,and it grows mental in there.:-D

Never look a gift horse in the mouth ( the sun:-))....my pond is shaded after about 11... makes it hard on the lilies.. but I don't get any algae!... I'm going to do some heavy pruning this week end in an effort to get a little more afternoon light on the water.. most of my plants are still dormant...hopefully not dead... none of the local "pond stores" are even operating yet. Most had heavy losses as well... they are telling me they don't plan on stocking until June.. I'll be buying online..
that's sad about your fish..hopeful it is OK....My mandarin ( salt water tank) succumbed to a white growth that it had for almost a year..

willow 04-30-2015 08:44 AM

i must say it is nice to sit in the sun,and be able to see the fish,i'm lucky.
by the time the hottest part of the day.....not mega hot it's England lol
the sun has moved round,and it's shaded by the fence.
i am hoping to fit a new filter this year,and have the electronics done as well.
i need to find new homes for the babies,as beautiful and mixed in colours
as they are,room wise it's not going to work out,and i can't make a bigger pond.