Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   ammonia high (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ammonia-high-519250/)

BLUEMONSTER107 02-11-2015 07:14 PM

ammonia high

how much water should i change out if my ammonia levels are too high (.5 -1.ppm) on a 55 gallon tank? My nitrates and nitrites are zero.... noticed today that the water was a tad cloudy, tested and ammonia was up :-(
I did a 30%water change, vacced gravel and rished out eheim canister filter 3 days ago (sunday).... did i clean too much? tank has only been cycling since 1/21/2015 but levels have been perfect until today. advice please.... besides maybe feeding less :-)
oh... and while tank is still establihing good bacteria.... should i only just rinse off the white filter piece? or all the baskets?

Embouck7 02-12-2015 06:57 AM

Don't clean the filter, only swap out media once a month usally. And every few months you can clean out the filter just enough to keep it working well. Otherwise don't mess with it, haha its gonna be dirty that how it works.

Warhawk 02-12-2015 12:41 PM

If you do a 50% water change when the ammonia is at 1.0ppm they should drop to 0.5ppm (or pretty close). Now 50% is a lot and you can change the temperature in your tank very easy, maybe do a 25-30% today and another one tomorrow. With your cycle new it is possible your cycle crashed after washing the filter.

Did you use tank water or tap water to wash out the canister?

When I cycle a new tank I won't vacuum until it is cycled for a month and wash the filter until month 2. After that I will wash the filter media every other month in tank water I have siphoned out into a bucket and vacuum about half the gravel once a month.

Other than the water changes to keep the ammonia down I would cut back on feeding. Don't stop feeding just feed less that will help with the ammonia issue until it cycles again. I'm guessing you have fish in the tank and if the tank was cycled it should bounce back after 3-4 days.(at least from my experience)

BLUEMONSTER107 02-12-2015 12:42 PM

i didn't clean the filter... like wipe down or anything.... but the ammonia was just too high for my like.
I went ahead last night and removed about 20% water, just popped around in the gravel a bit with my python cleaner to suck out some waste matter here and there as water was sucking out. I emptied 'filter canister water', but only rished off the white filter pad and the blue filter pad (prefilter and fine filter)... i left the eheim substat and the ehfi mech filter trays alone. I didnt feed the fish in hopes to see lower levels of ammonia. This morning the tank still is a tad cloudy ... ammonia reads .5ppm.... everything else is normal. so, what next ? what shall i do to get those ammonia levels to read zero?

Warhawk 02-12-2015 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLUEMONSTER107 (Post 5735586)
i didn't clean the filter... like wipe down or anything.... but the ammonia was just too high for my like.
I went ahead last night and removed about 20% water, just popped around in the gravel a bit with my python cleaner to suck out some waste matter here and there as water was sucking out. I emptied 'filter canister water', but only rished off the white filter pad and the blue filter pad (prefilter and fine filter)... i left the eheim substat and the ehfi mech filter trays alone. I didnt feed the fish in hopes to see lower levels of ammonia. This morning the tank still is a tad cloudy ... ammonia reads .5ppm.... everything else is normal. so, what next ? what shall i do to get those ammonia levels to read zero?

It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong to cause the issue.

Two more questions
How are you testing the water? (Strips, liquid, ....)
What is the nitrate reading?

BLUEMONSTER107 02-12-2015 12:58 PM

thanks warhawk! i didnt see your response until after i posted my todays readings. thank you for the advice. and yes... i washed off the white filter and blue filter pad in sink warm water (thats what the eheim directions said to do.... oops). didnt think of actually rinising it off in the bucket of tank water... thought it wouldnt clean it , since it was 'dirty' tank water.
okay. so now doing what i had already done..... what is the next step to get back on track?
Fish currently in tank are 2 plattys, 2 mollies, 2 tetras, 1 bumblebee chiclid, 1 common pleco, 7 neon tetras

BLUEMONSTER107 02-12-2015 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhawk (Post 5735618)
It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong to cause the issue.

Two more questions
How are you testing the water? (Strips, liquid, ....)
What is the nitrate reading?

my nitrate and nitrite were zero and currently using Tetra strips. I know many dont like them, but i have used them for years (i think the newer mfg ones work way better) and match up with the LFS test readings.

Warhawk 02-12-2015 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLUEMONSTER107 (Post 5735650)
thanks warhawk! i didnt see your response until after i posted my todays readings. thank you for the advice. and yes... i washed off the white filter and blue filter pad in sink warm water (thats what the eheim directions said to do.... oops). didnt think of actually rinising it off in the bucket of tank water... thought it wouldnt clean it , since it was 'dirty' tank water.
okay. so now doing what i had already done..... what is the next step to get back on track?
Fish currently in tank are 2 plattys, 2 mollies, 2 tetras, 1 bumblebee chiclid, 1 common pleco, 7 neon tetras

I would guess that while your tank was cycled you had some of the beneficial bacteria on the white and blue filter. Most tap water has choline to keep bacteria from growing in the water system so when you washed the filters it killed the bacteria.

Let the tank cycle again it should be faster this time because you still have some the BB left in other parts of the canister. Let the cycle for a few weeks then just rinse those pads in a bucket of tank water. If you set some water aside before you start vacuuming the gravel the water will look cleaner and won't hurt the filters at all.

Warhawk 02-12-2015 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLUEMONSTER107 (Post 5735746)
my nitrate and nitrite were zero and currently using Tetra strips. I know many dont like them, but i have used them for years (i think the newer mfg ones work way better) and match up with the LFS test readings.

If the nitrates are zero your cycle has crashed. I have used the test strips in the past but after I got the liquid kit I won't go back I like it much better, but that's just me

BLUEMONSTER107 02-12-2015 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhawk (Post 5735826)
If the nitrates are zero your cycle has crashed.

well that sucks :-( sooooo at this point do i just not touch anything for the next few weeks (cleaning that is) and just limit food given? when should i remove water and replace again?