Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
-   Betta Fish Articles (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/betta-fish-articles/)
-   -   Mycobacteria (https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/betta-fish-articles/mycobacteria-125895/)

Basement Bettas 01-16-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiesesMadchen (Post 1393517)
In nine years of fishkeeping, a 2 years of breeding, I have never seen a lethal case of myco/TB. IN fact, I have never seen a case at all. Most fish deaths and illnesses can widely be attributed more to poor ownership than a rare bacterial infection.

And I agree.. but there is this becoming a problem in many places. This is a warning to be careful and make sure the proper product is used to get rid of it or keep it out of your fish.

Basement Bettas 01-16-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twolovers101 (Post 1393540)
Just as a third party... this thread does seem rather panicked... yes it has good information, but what I worry about are people taking this and freaking out...

It is not to freak out.. but to make sure you are practicing good bio security in your own fish room and make sure you are aware of the signs. Not everyone can send fish to a lab. So how is the average Joe to even begin to consider this if all they hear is resistant so and so. It IS real and as such need to have correct information out so people can make INFORMED decisions.

Basement Bettas 01-16-2013 10:01 PM

probelm is bettas and Z-fish are more susceptible than others. And the major supplier of bettas to the shops has it. It is in most fish I see in my local area and they come from same place. Just be careful.

DiesesMadchen 01-16-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basement Bettas (Post 1393541)
And I agree.. but there is this becoming a problem in many places. This is a warning to be careful and make sure the proper product is used to get rid of it or keep it out of your fish.

The thing is, I take EXCELLENT care of my tanks. Most people with instances of fish TB are having cycling issues, or water quality issues, or don't take care of their tank. Yes, all fish have some form of Mycobacterium. Well taken care of fish don't get over run by it. Its like saying beware!! Women have yeast! Be careful who you touch! Yes, all women have yeast, but its only the ones with the nasty hoo-has that need to worry about infection. Just like fish kept in nasty tanks.

Basement Bettas 01-16-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiesesMadchen (Post 1393556)
The thing is, I take EXCELLENT care of my tanks. Most people with instances of fish TB are having cycling issues, or water quality issues, or don't take care of their tank. Yes, all fish have some form of Mycobacterium. Well taken care of fish don't get over run by it. Its like saying beware!! Women have yeast! Be careful who you touch! Yes, all women have yeast, but its only the ones with the nasty hoo-has that need to worry about infection. Just like fish kept in nasty tanks.

It is not a care issue. There is an unusual strain finding it's way into the betta hobby. Fish can carry and shed it for months. And my fish receive excellent care. I allowed ONE sick fish in the fish room and did not take proper steps and lost years of work. And I can tell you other breeders have taken excellent care of their fish. This is NOT a water quality issue causing a disease that can be cured. You going to tell the Z-fish research facility that they have care issues? I think not. But they get this. You get it by not taking precautions to keep it out. And they are pretty sever on how they handle getting rid of it.

This is a heads up. If you have something you can not get rid of you have to face this issue. And you have to get the right kind of stuff to kill it on your tanks and everything else. And fish can not be cured. I was told by more than one expert to destroy everything and start fresh. This is what you read and what you do when nothing else is working. And you can be proactive about prevention.. or not.

DiesesMadchen 01-16-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basement Bettas (Post 1393599)
It is not a care issue. There is an unusual strain finding it's way into the betta hobby. Fish can carry and shed it for months. And my fish receive excellent care. I allowed ONE sick fish in the fish room and did not take proper steps and lost years of work. And I can tell you other breeders have taken excellent care of their fish. This is NOT a water quality issue causing a disease that can be cured. You going to tell the Z-fish research facility that they have care issues? I think not. But they get this. You get it by not taking precautions to keep it out. And they are pretty sever on how they handle getting rid of it.

This is a heads up. If you have something you can not get rid of you have to face this issue. And you have to get the right kind of stuff to kill it on your tanks and everything else. And fish can not be cured. I was told by more than one expert to destroy everything and start fresh. This is what you read and what you do when nothing else is working. And you can be proactive about prevention.. or not.

From a Microbiologist standpoint (yes that's me! BSAST MT(ASCP)) most bacteria disease are caused but lack of care. Most bacterial disease can be prevented by proper hygiene, or in the case of a fishroom, proper maintenance. As far as accidentally letting a bad fish in? Well, would you put an old lady with pneumonia in a room of babies? I think not. It's called quarantine for a reason. And in almost 100% of cases, a bad fish put in a healthy tank is not going to infect healthy fish. That fish will die and that will be the end of it. Healthy immune systems fight off disease.

Olympia 01-16-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basement Bettas (Post 1393241)
Their guess is 70% of the TRADE. That means ALL fish.

If 70% or 100% fish in the trade have this (because I guess it's the same thing apparently) then there's nothing we can do, there's no clean stock, one of those papers said it's even difficult for scientists to get Myco-free stock, why bother? You'll get a fish that will die in a few hours, or you'll get one that will die in a year. If every fish is going to die of Myco then there's nothing we can do. Killing fish and replacing them with more fish with Myco? I don't quite get it.

aemaki09 01-16-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1393613)
If 70% or 100% fish in the trade have this (because I guess it's the same thing apparently) then there's nothing we can do, there's no clean stock, one of those papers said it's even difficult for scientists to get Myco-free stock, why bother? You'll get a fish that will die in a few hours, or you'll get one that will die in a year. If every fish is going to die of Myco then there's nothing we can do. Killing fish and replacing them with more fish with Myco? I don't quite get it.


+++++++1
I was just thinking this same exact thing

DiesesMadchen 01-16-2013 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Basement Bettas https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/i...s/viewpost.gif
Their guess is 70% of the TRADE. That means ALL fish.


70% = All fish? Math much?

finnfinnfriend 01-16-2013 10:45 PM

Now I'm really scared that I'm going to get really sick from any fish that I buy...:blueworry:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome