Back on the market...Anyone with a betta in a 3-5gal jar? - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-17-2016, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Cassandra90's Avatar
 
Aquarium
Back on the market...Anyone with a betta in a 3-5gal jar?

So I finally managed my way back to this forum after 2+ years.
I have not had any fish in this time. My 10 gallon, and 55 gallon are gone.
I have moved in with my fiance into a small apartment a year ago with our two cats.

I want to get back into the fish keeping. I was going to start small for now. I was thinking a nice 3 or 5 gallon jar set up for a male betta. But I have never done this. I would like some recommendations on where to get a glass jar, decor, heater, and if I should use a filter or do water changes. If anyone can point me in the right direction and help me out I will be thrilled.

Thank you!


Cassandra90 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 04-18-2016, 04:27 PM
Member
 
Warhawk's Avatar
 
Glad to hear you are back.

As for a 3-5 gallon jar I looked for years for something that size never found a good source. I found 1 gallon but I don't like those for Bettas. You can get lucky and find the 5 gallon aquariums but those are $20-30.

As for filtration I always keep sponge filters with my Betta, water changes are great and you need to do them often but a filter helps keep the water stable between changes.


You can follow Old Fort Exotics on You Tube and on my Fish room thread.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5l...KdIa-pb3K2zb7A
https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...h-room-517930/

Warhawk is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Warhawk For This Useful Post:
Cassandra90 (04-19-2016)
post #3 of 8 Old 04-19-2016, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Cassandra90's Avatar
 
Aquarium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
Glad to hear you are back.

As for a 3-5 gallon jar I looked for years for something that size never found a good source. I found 1 gallon but I don't like those for Bettas. You can get lucky and find the 5 gallon aquariums but those are $20-30.

As for filtration I always keep sponge filters with my Betta, water changes are great and you need to do them often but a filter helps keep the water stable between changes.
Thank you! My fiance found a nice 5 gallon or 9 gallon on dr. foster and smith that I really liked. Cost does not matter to me. I am even buy a new liquor cabinet just to put a new small tank on lol. So may get it. I looked all over for a nice size jar for a betta and never had luck either.

I agree a 1 gallon is too small. I have always kept my bettas in 3 gallons to 10 gallon tanks.


Cassandra90 is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 Old 05-21-2016, 02:41 PM
New Member
 
Well, I had gotten a round 2 gallon tank that I did not care for, too hard to work in, lights not good and clarity poor. I was in World Market and grabbed a glass jar that I think is either 2 or 2 1/2 gallons. I pirated the round under-gravel filter set up from the first tank, and with a new air hose and air stone in seems to be working ok, though it is early days yet. (and I am not an expert by a longggg shot!) I put it under my office LED desk lamp, put in a couple of plants and it is looking pretty good. Though I just learned that two of the plants I put into the tank are not actually aquatic and will rot if I leave them in. I am turning lights on and off manually until I can get a timer. All of this is to say that with your knowledge and experience and some creativity you will have the perfect tank up and running in no time! Have fun and good to have you here.
Elanhac is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 05-21-2016, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Cassandra90's Avatar
 
Aquarium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanhac View Post
Well, I had gotten a round 2 gallon tank that I did not care for, too hard to work in, lights not good and clarity poor. I was in World Market and grabbed a glass jar that I think is either 2 or 2 1/2 gallons. I pirated the round under-gravel filter set up from the first tank, and with a new air hose and air stone in seems to be working ok, though it is early days yet. (and I am not an expert by a longggg shot!) I put it under my office LED desk lamp, put in a couple of plants and it is looking pretty good. Though I just learned that two of the plants I put into the tank are not actually aquatic and will rot if I leave them in. I am turning lights on and off manually until I can get a timer. All of this is to say that with your knowledge and experience and some creativity you will have the perfect tank up and running in no time! Have fun and good to have you here.
Thank you! That was my plan for a 2 gallon or so. Glass is always best in my opinion. The first tank you got could of been aycrlic. Anyways I got a 10 gallon with two led lights on it now. Having some fuzz issue on my wood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-05-21_20.54.57.jpg (39.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-05-21_20.53.12.jpg (35.4 KB, 5 views)


Cassandra90 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 05-23-2016, 03:50 PM
Member
 
Guppie luver's Avatar
 
Pull out the driftwood and give it a good scrub. Did you boil it before putting it in your tank? If not then you should pull it and boil, as well as wiping it down

Orange VT F
Pink hm EE M
Opaque HM F
Blue VT F
Cambo CT F
Cambo VT F
Red VT F
White CT F
Blue CT F
Cambo VT F
Marble blue and white Dt M
S.I.P.
To the fish I have lost
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/myfishgoals
Guppie luver is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 05-23-2016, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Cassandra90's Avatar
 
Aquarium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppie luver View Post
Pull out the driftwood and give it a good scrub. Did you boil it before putting it in your tank? If not then you should pull it and boil, as well as wiping it down
Yes I boiled it for a few hours.


Cassandra90 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 06-01-2016, 10:09 PM
New Member
 
ShelbysFish's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra90 View Post
Yes I boiled it for a few hours.
You should be good then! :)

http://www.bettafish.com/image.php?u=91506&type=sigpic&dateline=1459103381
Mister Rogers [Halfmoon : 4 months] See my JOURNAL!
ShelbysFish is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome