New 75 gallon aquarium - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 07-03-2018, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
New 75 gallon aquarium

I am just setting up my 75 gallon aquarium. I plan to have a few discus, rams, Kribensis, Brichardi, and some random cats and plecos.
I am wondering if anyone has used goldfish as an initial group of fish until the nitrate cycle settles down and the tank is happy. They are pretty hardy and cheap, but I don't want to introduce any problems in doing so. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Dale Webb
dalewebb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 Old 07-03-2018, 09:42 PM
New Member
 
Aquarium
I Strongly suggest you NEVER put ANY fish though a cycle no matter how hardy and cheap they are as they are living things and don't deserve that much stress. Fish In cycles commonly take much longer than fishless cycles because they require multiple water changes a week to keep the ammonia down to a level that wont hurt the fish. If you still dont see the reason to why a fish in cycle is bad than remember that if the goldfish release pathogens or other bad things into the tank then you would have to disinfect/replace everything in the tank which would require another cycle. there are many fishless cycle strategies but the most common are adding a certain amount of pure ammonia and letting the bacteria grow with that, feeding the tank just as normal without fish in it and let the bacteria grow off that, and the one that i don't really think works which is using bacteria in a bottle.

Over Stocking Only Becomes A Problem For The Fish When They Can Feel It, But It Becomes Your Problem When They Feel It.
-TheGreatSlayer
TheGreatSlayer is offline  
post #3 of 26 Old 07-03-2018, 10:57 PM
Member
 
aussieJJDude's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatSlayer View Post
I Strongly suggest you NEVER put ANY fish though a cycle no matter how hardy and cheap they are as they are living things and don't deserve that much stress. Fish In cycles commonly take much longer than fishless cycles because they require multiple water changes a week to keep the ammonia down to a level that wont hurt the fish. If you still dont see the reason to why a fish in cycle is bad than remember that if the goldfish release pathogens or other bad things into the tank then you would have to disinfect/replace everything in the tank which would require another cycle. there are many fishless cycle strategies but the most common are adding a certain amount of pure ammonia and letting the bacteria grow with that, feeding the tank just as normal without fish in it and let the bacteria grow off that, and the one that i don't really think works which is using bacteria in a bottle.
The only time a goldie will release pathogens is if they are sick. Otherwise they will just be like any other fish.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

540L/140G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 254L/67g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
aussieJJDude is offline  
 
post #4 of 26 Old 07-03-2018, 11:03 PM
New Member
 
Aquarium
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieJJDude View Post
The only time a goldie will release pathogens is if they are sick. Otherwise they will just be like any other fish.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
exactly, and with no quarantine to know if the goldie is sick the sickness could be passed on to the fish added after the cycle, not only that but with the stress from the cycle to goldfishes immune systems would be vulnerable to infection. a sickness in the tank would be horrible if he bought discus as they can be expensive fish and would cost money to replace.

Over Stocking Only Becomes A Problem For The Fish When They Can Feel It, But It Becomes Your Problem When They Feel It.
-TheGreatSlayer

Last edited by TheGreatSlayer; 07-03-2018 at 11:11 PM.
TheGreatSlayer is offline  
post #5 of 26 Old 07-04-2018, 05:56 AM
Member
 
aussieJJDude's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatSlayer View Post
exactly, and with no quarantine to know if the goldie is sick the sickness could be passed on to the fish added after the cycle, not only that but with the stress from the cycle to goldfishes immune systems would be vulnerable to infection. a sickness in the tank would be horrible if he bought discus as they can be expensive fish and would cost money to replace.
For some reason, tapatalk is playing up and I can only reply though quoting... sorry for the constant quoting! :)


One can certainly do a fish in cycle that doesn't negatively impact the fish. As long as one stays vigilant, test regularly and preforms water changes in a timely manner it will work...

In saying that, its a lot easier to do a fish in cycle with some established media in there already and give the cycle a quick start...

in fact, cycling with even a single piece of media from an established tank puts ones chances of fast tracking the cycling process easily by a few days/weeks!


Even then, sickness of fish can easily be fixed since a lot of pathogens require a host and will quickly die without one. Likewise, curing the sick fish - whatever if may suffer illness from - before changing over to new stock is also a viable and suitable alternative!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

540L/140G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 254L/67g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.

Last edited by aussieJJDude; 07-04-2018 at 06:00 AM.
aussieJJDude is offline  
post #6 of 26 Old 07-04-2018, 03:01 PM
New Member
 
Aquarium
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieJJDude View Post
For some reason, tapatalk is playing up and I can only reply though quoting... sorry for the constant quoting! :)


One can certainly do a fish in cycle that doesn't negatively impact the fish. As long as one stays vigilant, test regularly and preforms water changes in a timely manner it will work...

In saying that, its a lot easier to do a fish in cycle with some established media in there already and give the cycle a quick start...

in fact, cycling with even a single piece of media from an established tank puts ones chances of fast tracking the cycling process easily by a few days/weeks!


Even then, sickness of fish can easily be fixed since a lot of pathogens require a host and will quickly die without one. Likewise, curing the sick fish - whatever if may suffer illness from - before changing over to new stock is also a viable and suitable alternative!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
but my argument still stands that using a fish in cycle takes longer and can potentially kill off all the fish that you add after. if the op had cycled media to add to the tank than it would be easier to just add the tropical fish and skip the goldfish all together. but since he asked about starting a whole new cycle i assumed he has no media, likewise you should never add media from somebody else tank because no matter how much you trust them one bad thing could crash the whole tank.

Over Stocking Only Becomes A Problem For The Fish When They Can Feel It, But It Becomes Your Problem When They Feel It.
-TheGreatSlayer
TheGreatSlayer is offline  
post #7 of 26 Old 07-05-2018, 10:53 AM
Member
 
By starting the tank fully planted it is possible to experience very short, low to no ammonia and nitrite spikes.




my .02

maintain Fw and marine system with a strong emphasis on balanced, stabilized system that as much as possible are self substaning.

have maintained FW systems for up to 9 years with descendants from original fish and marine aquariums for up to 8 years.

With no water changes, untreated tap water, inexpensive lighting by first starting the tank with live plants (FW) or macro algae( marine)

see: https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...-build-295530/
beaslbob is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old 07-06-2018, 06:34 PM
Member
 
Depends on $ and time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalewebb View Post
I am just setting up my 75 gallon aquarium. I plan to have a few discus, rams, Kribensis, Brichardi, and some random cats and plecos.
I am wondering if anyone has used goldfish as an initial group of fish until the nitrate cycle settles down and the tank is happy. They are pretty hardy and cheap, but I don't want to introduce any problems in doing so. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Dale Webb
Fish in=FIRST FIND A HUNGRY CARNIVORE. Ask at the fish store if they can help you find an owner of a hungry fish that can eat goldfish an inch bigger than what you are thinking of buying. Tell the carnivore owner what you are doing and agree to his/her conditions (within reason.)
In my case the carnivore owner was a hugh help and answered a lot of my questions. She did ask me to purchase specific fish (white cloud feeder minnows as goldfish need it too cold for good biome growth,) food, test kit, and chems. I still use most of them today.


To answer the thought part... (Warning: Seachem fan girl) Yes, fishless cycling is BORING. You can shorten it a lot with products like Seachem Stability (make sure any kind of bugs ARE NOT DELIVERED by USPS as they xray to kill anthrax. Cheap UPS uses USPS for delivery.) Preconditioning tap water with Seachem Prime in higher doses has the added benefit of locking ammonia in a state that does not harm fish but still feeds the cycling biome.
couger is offline  
post #9 of 26 Old 07-08-2018, 09:39 PM
Member
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatSlayer View Post
but my argument still stands that using a fish in cycle takes longer and can potentially kill off all the fish that you add after. if the op had cycled media to add to the tank than it would be easier to just add the tropical fish and skip the goldfish all together. but since he asked about starting a whole new cycle i assumed he has no media, likewise you should never add media from somebody else tank because no matter how much you trust them one bad thing could crash the whole tank.


Your argument is a moral one in that you don’t think it’s right to subject fish to the cycling process. You’re certainly free to hold that opinion, just as others are free to disregard it. But when you start stretching claims to bolster your position that invites criticism. Talking about how it might kill off all the fish added after is shameless fear mongering. Talking about how they’ll have to sterilize their tank is more of the same. “...Never add media from somebody else’s tank....crash the whole tank” is worse than anything else you’ve said. Stand by your moral argument without any of that other nonsense.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

125 - BGK, chanchito cichlid, pictus cats, silver dollars, palmas bichir
125 - cichlids (severums, bolivian rams, chocolate), rainbows ( turquoise, red), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, tiretrack eel, pearl gouramis, betta
90 - Congo tetras, african knife, upside down cats, spotted ctenopoma, kribensis, delhezzi bichir
2.5 - betta
jaysee is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old 07-09-2018, 06:08 PM
New Member
 
Aquarium
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
Your argument is a moral one in that you don’t think it’s right to subject fish to the cycling process. You’re certainly free to hold that opinion, just as others are free to disregard it. But when you start stretching claims to bolster your position that invites criticism. Talking about how it might kill off all the fish added after is shameless fear mongering. Talking about how they’ll have to sterilize their tank is more of the same. “...Never add media from somebody else’s tank....crash the whole tank” is worse than anything else you’ve said. Stand by your moral argument without any of that other nonsense.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sorry, im a big enough person to admit when i when i am wrong and i was wrong. i did go to far with the fear part but that does not say that adding fish or anything from outside your system without a quarantine is smart. not everything is treatable, to see what adding fish to a system without quarantine can do look at Solid Gold Aquatics. she lost everything in her fish room due to 1 fish being mixed in her bunch too soon. i hope this fixes my previous post's mistakes and i hope ill be welcome to post and help people on tropicalfishkeeping in the future.

Over Stocking Only Becomes A Problem For The Fish When They Can Feel It, But It Becomes Your Problem When They Feel It.
-TheGreatSlayer
TheGreatSlayer is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New 75 Gallon Planted Aquarium mxgalaxy Freshwater Journals 39 01-10-2012 01:36 AM
75 Gallon Planted Aquarium Update Week 4 mxgalaxy Freshwater Journals 6 07-21-2011 08:51 PM
NEW NEW Pics of MY 75 Gallon Planted Tank... idle0095 Freshwater Journals 12 07-28-2007 05:39 PM
A Few Pics of my 75 Gallon Aquarium shavon Freshwater Journals 6 03-16-2007 04:17 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome