nitrite/nitrate high - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-11-2007, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
nitrite/nitrate high

hi i have a 75g fowlr i just got done my cycle on the tank about a 3 weekago every thing was going fine (HAD 1 damsel)lost the fish (can`t find it now) and the nitrite and nitrate are sky high person at lfs said the fish died, and wait it out the leveles will come down but i can`t find any thing from the fish no bones ect.that was about 5 days ago now i afraid to add more fish with the levels so high please help thanks
PH ----8.2
ammonia---- 0
nitrite----5.0
nitrate----80
jjwin98 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 01-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Yes the levels should lower on there on. But do about a 50% water change and keep an eye on the levels. Dont add any more fish till the levels lower dramatically.
usmc121581 is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 01-12-2007, 05:45 AM
New Member
 
Derek-M's Avatar
 
You really need to get the nitrate level down to under 25 ppm... I think you may have overfed the fish and this is why the nitrite levels have risen to 5...Just make sure there is no uneaten food lying around the tank as decomposing food strips O2 from the water and will also add to the high nitrite.. As stated earlier keep the water changes going until you get the readings down
Derek-M is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 01-15-2007, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
ok everything is going good now the nitrite/nitrate is down thanks for advice but i have a brown alge? on the glass and on base rock i think it is ok but just want to make sure is it just alge or should i worried about it
thanks jeff
jjwin98 is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 01-15-2007, 10:02 AM
New Member
 
Derek-M's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwin98
ok everything is going good now the nitrite/nitrate is down thanks for advice but i have a brown alge? on the glass and on base rock i think it is ok but just want to make sure is it just alge or should i worried about it
thanks jeff
Yes it is algae and nothing to worry about. Once you have a pleco in the tank it will take care of the algae on the glass. To clean the rocks place them in direct sunlight and they will soon be back to their natural state
Derek-M is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 01-15-2007, 10:38 AM
Derek you know I love ya right bud?

I don't think a plec is going to make it very long in that salt tank. I've never owned any plecos so I'm not to sure.


You are experiencing a diatomaceous algae bllom, a normal part of cycling a salt tank. IMO, I do not think your tank is near ready for any fish.

At this point you have not defined any sort of filtration, lighting, live rock (how much), Nothing to help us understand what is cycling your tank. The death and subsequent decay of your fish leads me to believe that your tank has only now begun to cycle. I would suggest a large water change as USMC advised and then a lot of patience. Let it sit for 3 weeks undisturbed. When the algae disappears you will be a lot closer.
caferacermike is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 01-16-2007, 04:11 AM
New Member
 
Derek-M's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by caferacermike
Derek you know I love ya right bud?

I don't think a plec is going to make it very long in that salt tank. I've never owned any plecos so I'm not to sure.


You are experiencing a diatomaceous algae bllom, a normal part of cycling a salt tank. IMO, I do not think your tank is near ready for any fish.

At this point you have not defined any sort of filtration, lighting, live rock (how much), Nothing to help us understand what is cycling your tank. The death and subsequent decay of your fish leads me to believe that your tank has only now begun to cycle. I would suggest a large water change as USMC advised and then a lot of patience. Let it sit for 3 weeks undisturbed. When the algae disappears you will be a lot closer.

why I missed that Mike..Old age catching up and needing new reading glasses .. A saltwater pleco!! I could sell that till the cows come home lol
Derek-M is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 01-16-2007, 06:08 AM
It's because deep at heart you are a pleco nutter. I've seen your posts, so pleco oriented.
caferacermike is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 01-16-2007, 06:36 AM
Member
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by caferacermike
It's because deep at heart you are a pleco nutter. I've seen your posts, so pleco oriented.
I just noticed Derek posted in the wrong forum.

Sent from my desktop or phone or whatever else I am holding on to

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=48&dateline=125741997  2
I'm ready for the pressure.
The drama and the pleasure!
If there is one thing I want to see here, it's HUMOR.
I believe I can fly!
I believe I can touch the sky!
I think about it every night and day!
I stand in awe of my body.
Lupin is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help my Nitrite/Nitrate is up... Calmwaters Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 11 09-14-2009 12:35 PM
Nitrate and Nitrite levels high anthonyjd81 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 6 03-17-2009 08:59 PM
NITRATE-110 NITRITE-56 HELP SeaSerpant Tropical Fish Diseases 7 12-30-2007 09:10 PM
Nitrate - Nitrite ? MPRINCE Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 2 08-20-2007 05:25 PM
How to control the pH, Nitrate and Nitrite levels le9569 Water Chemistry 10 09-02-2006 01:17 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome