Wasn't sure were to post this but this seemed like the most likely place. So a friend recently gave me a 25 gallon hex tank and I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it (at first it was just going to be a quarantine tank) but since I've decided I would like to some sort of 2/3rds water 1/3rd air/land type setup so hence I came here.
So here is what I'm kicking around right now;
- I want to keep it natural and somewhat darkish so was thinking about going with an organic soil for the substrate.
- I was also thinking about stacking some slate from the bottom to above the water line, in the hopes I can get some animals that like the water and land combo.
- One idea was to modify one of my HOB filters for this setup to create a waterfall.
- I want to grow some plants emersed to give it that natural feeling.
- I was thinking of having 2 or 3 small fish in the water section.
- Was considering a few African dwarf frogs but from what I have read they have no love of land, but still might be an interesting addition.
So some questions,
What would be a good animal that will spend time in both land and water? I like the idea of turtles but will this setup be to small? What ones wont go after the fish?
Have any of you seen such a setup in a small tank like mine if you have can you link to some photos?
All comments and constructive criticisms welcome.