I spotted this thing sticking out the side of this fish tonight when feeding bloodworms. What is it? Could it be a blood worm sticking out of its gill? I cannot find the fish now under cover to get better photos. Thanks in advance for any advice.
1. Size of tank? 29 Gallons
2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? 0
b. Nitrite? 0
c. Nitrate? 5
d. pH, KH and GH? pH 7.4 - 7.6 KH 5
e. Test kit? API
3. Temperature? 76.3
4. FW (fresh water)
5. How long the aquarium has been set up? 4 months
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? One male Mississippi MAP turtle 3" long, three platys (2 female, 1 male), six gold ring danios, nine false Juli Cory Cats.
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? No
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? Fake, yes
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Sand Bottom
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? Wood, from beach baked in oven at 300x12hrs
9. a. Filtration? Aquaclear 70 x 2
b. Heater? Two heaters
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? 12 hrs on timer
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? None
11. a. Water change schedule? Weekly
b. Volume of water changed? 30 - 50%
c. Well water, tap water, RO water?
d. Water conditioner used? yes
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? With each water change
12. Foods? Hikari sinking pellets, occasional blood worms
How often are they fed? twice a day
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? rapid breathing
b. Appearance of poop? none seen
c. Appearance of gills? cannot visualize
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? no
b. What meds were used? none
15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.
Read more: Diagnosis Form - Read this before you post.