This is a discussion on What is this on my Venustus within the Tropical Fish Diseases forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; -->
I think it might be a fungal infection. But I'm still not sure. My water conditions are: Ph 6.8 Alk 180 Hard 250 Nitrite ...
I think it might be a fungal infection. But I'm still not sure. My water conditions are: Ph 6.8 Alk 180 Hard 250 Nitrite 0.5 Nitrate 80 Ammonia 0.0. My tap water has high Nitrates so they stay between 40-80. I do weekly 20% water changes. I raised my tank temp up to 80f-82f and treated with 2 handfulls of Epsom Salts. Here are some pics. He is still eating good and "acting healthy", but I'm still worried about losing him. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Unfortunately, whatever this is ,it's getting worse. It's sperading to his fins now. He is still acting fine but has begun scratching on things and seems to be breathing alittle fast. None of the other fish have any signs of this on them but have begun treating with ampicillin treated food just in case it's bacterial.We done like using meds but we're not sure what else to do. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Looks like he might have a bacterial infection. You could treat him a lot of different ways, but I prefer to use natural herbal cures like PimaFix and MelaFix from API. I would also dose with StressCaoat, again from API. Just follow the directions and perform a water change at the end of treatment, and filter over carbon if poosible after the treatment.
Thanks for the suggestions. Amp has made the wounds look better but spots are still spreading. Bought some Coppersafe today. (Person at lfs recommended, said to treat flukes). Did 20% wc and changed carbon. We were going to start treatment in the morning but now am even more confused. Do we treat him for flukes or for a bacterial infection? Will Melafix work for both? If so, I would rather use that because I'm concerned as to the effects of chemicals on the rest of the tank but I'm also afraid of losing Jerry if he's not treated correctly.
Doesn't look like flukes at all to me. Hookworm, maybe, but doubtful there too. It truly looks like abacterial infection. You could also use a broadband anti-bacterial, but I don't like using them. Again, Using the three products I suggested before would be my choice. The treatement should last 7-10 days. Just remember the water change to remove carbon during treatment.