03-20-2008, 04:46 PM
| || |
Dropsy is caused by a bacterial infection. By the time it gets to a stage where we can see the raised scales there isn't usually much that can be done for the fish. Dirty water can cause the bacterial infection, but it doesn't in itself cause the dropsy.
Bettas are one of the fishes most prone to dropsy. I would suggest treating the QT tank with Kanacyn. Follow the directions on the labeling for dosage.
This should help to treat the bacterial infection, but there is a good chance that internal damage has already been, enough that it can't be treated.
If it's any help, my daughter adopted a betta who had a severe case of dropsy and pop eye in both eyes, and with clean water, good food, and steady temp of 80, that fish lived another 2 yrs. Everyone else had given up on that fish. A customer brought it in and left it on our counter. My boss was going to euthenize it, so I offered to take it home to my daughter instead. We decided not to use meds because the problems were so severe. Our idea was to make it as comfortable and happy as possible until it died. The fish was already at least 1 - 2 yrs old.
Best of luck to you!