I am a new fish person and have recently joined the great world of tropical fish. Here is the information on my tank, toward the bottom is my actual problem. Thanks for taking the time to help out!
1. Size of tank? 10 Gallons
2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? Not yet tested
b. Nitrite? 0
c. Nitrate? 0
d. pH, KH and GH? 7.9
e. Test kit? Dip Stick
3. Temperature? 76
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? Freshwater
5. How long the aquarium has been set up? Month and half
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
Male Swordtail- ~inch half long- had for three weeks
Female Swordtail-~inch long- had for three weeks- Pregnant
Male Platy-~inch long- had for five weeks
Female Platy-~inch long- had for three weeks- small girl
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? NA
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? Fake plants- Three large
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Gravel
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? Two Tea Cups and a Sugar Bowl
9. a. Filtration?Aqua Tech Filter
b. Heater? yes
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? Light hood on about 9-11 hours day
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? No
11. a. Water change schedule? Once weekly
b. Volume of water changed? 50%
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap water
d. Water conditioner used? Tetra conditioner
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed?
12. Foods? Tetra flakes twice a day- bloodworms twice a week
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms?
-Male platy is bloated, swordtails and female platy have black markings on head/upper body. Still eating well and swimming like normal.
b. Appearance of poop? Long loops- pink, though once two days ago male platy had poop white with red tip
c. Appearance of gills? Fine as far as I know
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? No
b. What meds were used?NA
Here is the overall scare going on now,
My female swordtail is pregnant, so I have been watching her a lot lately. Four days ago, I noticed some black markings developing on her and my male swordtails heads. Two days ago, they were worse and just yesterday them seem to appearing on my female platy. My male platy still shows no signs of the symptoms. I visited a pet shop and they said most fish diseases appear white and they had no idea what could be black. They suggested I got to fish forum. So, here I am begging for help to save my babies. They are still eating, swimming, etc normal. Just change in appearence.
I am going to take some water to another pet shop that is more of a specialist in fish. Though I already tested my own water, I am going to see what they think. I have heard that Tetra water conditioner doesn't always work as well as it should...could this be the problem? I am really worried about my female swordtail as soon she will already be weak from birthing and I want her to have as much strength and health as possible.
PLEASE HELP- Hobbes, Tigerlilly, Belle, and Goofy, truly appreciate it and so do I,