Swollen gills - Page 2 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 Old 08-12-2007, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Yes, varying water temps are a good thing to be on the lookout for. Actually, though, I am in California, so it is really easy to keep my tap water within a degree or two of my tank water. All of it is about 75 degrees. I do appreciate the suggestion, though! I am sure there are things that I have not thought of yet, so keep sending them as they occur to you!

Best wishes for your fishes!
Julie's Julies is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 28 Old 08-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Julie:

Did the PimaFix and MelaFix work (I really hope!)?

TR
jones57742 is offline  
post #13 of 28 Old 08-14-2007, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Yes and no. :) The guppy expired last night despite the Melafix and Pimafix. I hated to lose her, but I knew she was pretty far gone and she had definitely stopped eating.

However, I have a fancytailed Ryukin who has had tail rot for several weeks now and nothing seemed to get rid of it. I added half a dose of Melafix, and for the first time since the onset, his tail is improving! The dark edges have cleared up and it appears that the fins are growing back a little bit. I really like that stuff!

Best wishes for your fishes!
Julie's Julies is offline  
post #14 of 28 Old 08-14-2007, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
I also went ahead and tore down the tank, cleaned it out, rinsed the gravel, hosed out the filter, and put it all back together. Hopefully that will solve whatever issues it had and I can get more guppies. I do have three guppy fry from a different guppy that I had lost previously, so once it has recycled I might put them back in there and see what happens.

Best wishes for your fishes!
Julie's Julies is offline  
post #15 of 28 Old 08-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Member
 
jsm11482's Avatar
 
Sorry to hear about your lil' guppy. But I hope you didn't clean the tank too much, as to kill all the bacteria and cause the tank to recycle. I would watch it closely for a little while!

90gal: 2x Tangerine Discus, 2x Clown Pleco, 2x Catfish.
75gal + 10gal sump: 2x Large Goldfish, 1x Common Pleco, 14x Leopard Danios
55gal: 5x Angelfish, 1x Common Pleco, 8x SIlver Tip Tetras, 16x Neon Tetras, 8x Albino Corys
jsm11482 is offline  
post #16 of 28 Old 08-15-2007, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Yes, I cleaned it out REALLY well. It did kill the bacterial colony, but I knew it would, and I didn't know what else to do for it since I've lost four guppies in the tank. If this cleaning doesn't improve things, I might just get rid of the tank all together.

I am recycling it now, but I don't have any fish in there. Our tap water naturally has ammonia in it, and with a little food in there, too, I hope to achieve a fishless cycling and then add new guppies. Thank you for the reminder to keep a close eye on things!

Best wishes for your fishes!
Julie's Julies is offline  
post #17 of 28 Old 08-15-2007, 12:05 PM
Member
 
jsm11482's Avatar
 
Ammonia in your tap water?!? Is this normal/safe???

90gal: 2x Tangerine Discus, 2x Clown Pleco, 2x Catfish.
75gal + 10gal sump: 2x Large Goldfish, 1x Common Pleco, 14x Leopard Danios
55gal: 5x Angelfish, 1x Common Pleco, 8x SIlver Tip Tetras, 16x Neon Tetras, 8x Albino Corys
jsm11482 is offline  
post #18 of 28 Old 08-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Julie (three items):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie's Julies
Yes, I cleaned it out REALLY well. It did kill the bacterial colony, but I knew it would, and I didn't know what else to do for it since I've lost four guppies in the tank. If this cleaning doesn't improve things, I might just get rid of the tank all together.
Please do not discard your tank because of what has happened.

As I have set forth in many previous posts a mild chlorine solution is a very, very good disinfectant for bacteria as well as virus's (and these may "really be" where you problems are coming from").

You just have to rinse the tank, media, etc. very well and then add plenty of dechlorinate when reintroducing tap water.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie's Julies
... Our tap water naturally has ammonia in it ..
Jsm said this but I will reinforce it:
That one just aint happening!!!

If you have a test kit which is indicating an ammonia concentration in your tap water then "chunk the test kit"!

TR

When previewing this post before submitting I realized that a viral infection is the most plausible reason (in my brain) for your problems.

IMHO the tank and appurtenances should be soaked in a "mild chlorine solution" for several days before rinsing.
jones57742 is offline  
post #19 of 28 Old 08-15-2007, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Hi Jones, thanks for the advice about chlorinating the tank. You may very well be right about the viral infection. I will see what happens when I reclean it. The reason I would chuck the tank, though, is not because of the fish death so much as the tank is a poor design which leads to fish death. It is a tall, skinny tank (poor oxygen), has no light (difficult to see problems when they arise), and it is plastic (so no heater can be attached for fear of melting the tank). It was a gift for my sons, so that is why I am trying to make it work, but it is frustrating to lose fish just because the tank is bad.

But about the ammonia in our tap water: yes, there REALLY is ammonia in our tap water! I have used multiple different test kits on our water and others' water and they all show ammonia in our tap water. I have spoken to the Santa Clara Water District regarding the problem. This is the response I was given: "There are no State or Federal regulations about the amount of ammonia in tap water. We are not required to make any attempt to remove it. Furthermore, you should not worry; only drastic amounts of ammonia would have negative consequences. The trace amounts found in your tap water will only cause stomach ache, headache, and diarrhea." Nice, huh?

Brita water filtration, here we come!

Best wishes for your fishes!
Julie's Julies is offline  
post #20 of 28 Old 08-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie's Julies
Hi Jones, thanks for the advice about chlorinating the tank. You may very well be right about the viral infection. I will see what happens when I reclean it. The reason I would chuck the tank, though, is not because of the fish death so much as the tank is a poor design which leads to fish death. It is a tall, skinny tank (poor oxygen), has no light (difficult to see problems when they arise), and it is plastic (so no heater can be attached for fear of melting the tank). It was a gift for my sons, so that is why I am trying to make it work, but it is frustrating to lose fish just because the tank is bad.
Julie: you are correct based on this post: IMHO that tank was made to "sell" to someone and not to "keep fish in".


Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie's Julies
But about the ammonia in our tap water: yes, there REALLY is ammonia in our tap water! I have used multiple different test kits on our water and others' water and they all show ammonia in our tap water. I have spoken to the Santa Clara Water District regarding the problem. This is the response I was given: "There are no State or Federal regulations about the amount of ammonia in tap water. We are not required to make any attempt to remove it. Furthermore, you should not worry; only drastic amounts of ammonia would have negative consequences. The trace amounts found in your tap water will only cause stomach ache, headache, and diarrhea." Nice, huh?
Julie:

It has been many years since I have read the EPA rules.
If acceptable to you I will have my staff "look into this" when everyone gets off of vacation.
Based on the few books which I read prior to sitting for the Engineering Exams something is "really wrong here": even small concentrations of ammonia are toxic and "not much above these concentrations" they are lethal.

TR
jones57742 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my guppy has swollen enlarged gills susiemarvin Tropical Fish Diseases 1 03-09-2010 12:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome