Hello and thanks for you time. I have a female Sunburst Platy. I have had her for about a year. She is turning black. I also noticed when my fish have babies, (guppies and platies) the water gets cloudy is this normal?
1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons) 29 gal
2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water? freshwater
3. How long the aquarium has been set up? Well, The river rock has been in tanks I have had for more than 5 years. The current set up for about 3.
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium (species are important to know) Too many fish to count. I have a whole circle of life thing going on. I have an African albino clawed frog that eats the stuff in the tank. I also have Guppies and Platies that breed. Ghost shrimp that breed. 2 Snails, (large ones I am not sure what kind) and a black loach. The shrimp, guppies and platies are food for my frog. There are all ages of shrimp, guppies and platies in the tank.
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium? Yes all plants are live. Temple plant, banana plant, ferns and a couple I don't know the name of.
6. What temperature is the tank water currently? I never regulated the tank temp. I live in FL and don't worry much about temperature. If it's good for me it's good for them.
7. What make/model filter are you using? Whisper Bio wheel for a 30 gal
8. Are you using a CO2 unit? no
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? Yes, it's by a window and gets some of the sunset hours.
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed? I change about a quarter of the water about every 2 months. It needs to be changed.
11. How often do you perform water changes? see above
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish? I feed them once every 3 days or so. I have a healthy coat of algae on the back 3 parts of the tank and I see them nibbling on it. I also have so many that i try to control the population by not over feeding. I feed them live bearer food with tubi-fix and flake low cloud. I also occasionally feed them straight tubi-fix worm cubes that I stick to the side of the tank.
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on? I am not sure, just the kind you get at the pet store. I keep it on about 12 hours a day.
14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time? My large female platy turning black and the water being cloudy after either the platies or guppies have given birth.
15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I have never tested my water. I also thing it is a bit unnecessary. If the water doesn't smell clean enough to drink I do a water change or change the filter. In all the years I have had fish tanks I have never tested and I have always had healthy tanks.
16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips? n/a
17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank? I haven't bought a new fish for more than 6 months. Zeus my frog ate Artemis's my platies mate. I had to get her a mate. I got 2 black and orange platies and another sunburst female platy. I got a new temple plant about a month ago and one of my snails dies shortly there after. But, we also were doing some home repairs and the temperature change drastically. I think it may have been a factor.