Okay, I went to work last night with everything in my tank being perfectly fine. Everyone had eaten this morning and was swimming around normally and happily. My girlfriend gets home while I'm at work and said one of my Opaline Gourami was messed up. He would try to swim and just go in these erratic directions, spinning around while doing so, seemingly with little control of anything. Luckily my girlfriend sent me a video so I could see what was going on. She kept saying it looked like he ate a fish, and yes his stomach was quite swollen but it had not been that morning so this is something that developed quickly. He was still alive last night but as of this morning was dead. I'm just at a loss of what it could be.
Here's the form with water readings as of last night.
1. Size of tank? 36 gallon Bowfront
2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? 0 PPM
b. Nitrite? 0 PPM
c. Nitrate? 5 PPM
d. pH, KH and GH? 7.2-7.4 pH, no tests for the other two
e. Test kit? API Freshwater Master Test Kit
3. Temperature? 80F
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? Freshwater
5. How long the aquarium has been set up? Two months
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? 2 Opaline Gouramis (1 Dead), 3 Kribensis, 3 German Balloon Rams, 2 Bolivian Rams, 2 Odessa Barbs, 2 Corys, 2 Otocinclus, 1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? No, I do not have a quarantine tank.
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? Live plants including Java Moss, Java Fern, Water Wisteria, Water Sprite, Moss Ball. Variety of fake plants as well
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Gravel
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? Hollow log, cichlid stacking stones, and large fake tree stump.
9. a. Filtration? Aquaclear 70 and Aqueon Quietflow 30
b. Heater? Not sure what brand, but there is a heater.
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? 12 hours a day, 17W T8
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? Minimal amount, sunrise to sunset
11. a. Water change schedule? Once to twice a week
b. Volume of water changed? About 25% of tank water
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap water
d. Water conditioner used? Aqueon Water Conditioner, out of Prime right now
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? I give it a light vacuuming here and there, though I do not remove decorations
12. Foods? Omega One Fish flakes, frozen brine shrimp and frozen blood worms
How often are they fed? Twice a day (flakes), Once or twice a week (shrimp and blood worms)
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? Not until he started acting weird, then he was bloated and unable to swim correctly
b. Appearance of poop? Can't remember
c. Appearance of gills? Normal when I removed him from tank
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? no
b. What meds were used? n/a