Hi, it's my first time posting here and I could use your help:
I've had this Synodontis (named Sydney) for about four years. I moved out of my home over a year ago and it was up to a family member to perform water changes, etc; unfortunately, regular maintenance was not performed. When I returned home recently, I found my fish has white spots running down its body, the dorsal fin and tail fin have receded, and there seems to be a small reddish tumor-like growth on its left side (circled in yellow in picture).
Two weekends ago I moved the aquarium, with ~50% of the original water and the original substrate and filter, to my new apartment. Since the move I've been keeping a written log to record any progress or regression in my fish's health along with a record of the quality of the water. I also raised the temperature from ~78F to 81F.
This weekend I performed a 20% water change and added a new carbon insert for the filter. When pouring new water in, I noticed a lot of small floating white particles (perhaps Ich or simply substrate particles?) inhaled by the power filter. The fish has been behaving fairly normally for the past week, swimming effortlessly when the lights go off, and feeding every night.
Please help me bring Sydney back to health! Pictures and aquarium stats follow:
1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons)--->10 gal.
2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water?--->Freshwater
3. How long the aquarium has been set up?--->see above (4+ yrs)
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium (species are important to know)--->Synodontis species; only fish
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium?--->No
6. What temperature is the tank water currently?--->81F
7. What make/model filter are you using?--->Aquaclear 150 power filter
8. Are you using a CO2 unit?--->No
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day?--->Set up in closet with doors across from window, so some light
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed?--->20%
11. How often do you perform water changes?--->Weekly
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish?--->TetraMin Wafers, nightly, 1-2 tablets
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on?--->Fluorescent, on from ~10am to 10pm
14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time?--->Getting Sydney healthy
15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.--->pH = ~7.2, ammonia = 0, nitrite ~20ppm, nitrate ~20ppm
16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips?--->Both
17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank?--->4 years ago, healthy