09-24-2009, 09:04 AM
| || | The underlying issue actually is the fact you just did a large water change. Naturally, your fish were shocked by the sudden change in water conditions especially a huge dive of nitrate level. If this were to happen, what you shoud have done is make small partial water changes first. Increase water volume replaced each day. The gradual changing would not have caused such issue more than your sudden large water change did. The above scenario left them open to severe stress thus they became very vulnerable to various health issues.
Originally Posted by ThalesthePearsei
I had been out of town for 4 months and had someone caring for may tanks while I was gone. They were supopost to do water changes on my 125 cichlid tank. When I got back I noticed my fish acting strange. I did some testing and that revealed that my nitrates were 160+. Apparently, no water changes had taken place at all. So I did a major water change to help rectify the problem. Since then I have been hit with many problems, which I think is due to the lack of water changes causing bad water quality.
The dropsy incident is from osmoregulatory shock. Your fish suffered the sudden change of water conditions which they failed to adapt quickly to thus damaging their osmoregulatory system in the process. The chances of recovery for that is very slim. What are these parasites and fungal infections you're talking about? Please post in details those and include photos of all affected areas.
I have 3 fish in hospitals currently. One is being treated for red sores, another for parasites and fungus (I believe parasites because of his rapid weight loss), and just put another in today for suspected dropsy. No deaths so far but I am unsure whether the dropsy fish will recover.