Hey everyone, this is my first post so sorry for my newbie-ness...
I have had two bettas, for about a year now. They have been in separate tanks and I have performed the same routines on both. However, now my female betta is acting rather weird. She hasnt eatten in maybe 3-4 weeks, and is very sluggish. A film has been forming on the surface of the water. The film is kind of like a clear gel, with white speckles. I have done frequent water changes with the betta, and the film just forms over and over again. I thought maybe it was dust, but the two bettas are sitting right next to each other, and my male betta is fine.
I have tried things such as Betta Remedy, aquarium salts, stress coats, different water conditioners, and i tried different food in hopes she was just bored with the old stuff, but nothing has worked.
I got the female betta a new tank with a filter, and she is still sluggish. She is actually now just resting on the gravel on the bottom of the tank? Any ideas?
1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons) - about a gallon
2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water? fresh
3. How long the aquarium has been set up? going on a year for the old one / 2 days for the new one
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium (species are important to know) - 1 female betta
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium? no
6. What temperature is the tank water currently? room temp
7. What make/model filter are you using? in the old one there was none / the new one has just an air pump and under gravel filter
8. Are you using a CO2 unit? no
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? yes but not much
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed? for the old tank, 3 days ago, and half of the tank... the new tank just got fresh water
11. How often do you perform water changes? about once a week
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish? every other night, pellets and flakes
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on? in the old tank it was just the normal ceiling light whenever i was in the room, the new tank has a small light bulb on the tank.
14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time? sluggish fish, wont eat, and film on top of water
15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. pH is 7.0, low ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate
16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips? test strips
17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank? 2 days ago, dont understand the last part of the question.