09-28-2009, 04:41 AM
| || | I guess it's my lucky day to be reading disease threads this afternoon here. Twistermom has it right. Dropsy isn't necessarily a disease. As it happens internally, diagnosing the actual causes is very tricky however we can pin this down as we look into your tank's history. This is the only way we can do it unless you still have the dwarf gourami and can perform necropsy to determine which body organ is damaged or abnormally swollen, etc. One of the main causes is excess proteins. Please note that almost all commercial foods have very low fiber content. 2-3% of fiber is ridiculously low. This is why for the most part, greens are added in the diet. Fiber helps flush out excess foods that cannot be utilized by the body system for developments. If the excess proteins remain trapped in the body system especially as it is very difficult to digest, it can clog the GI (gastrointestinal) tract of the fish. The use of acidophilus included in foods, fasting or high fiber diet will help rectify this issue. The second possible cause is abundance of internal parasites. Lately, I find it common for interna parasites such as tapeworms to occur without being detected especially as they live inside the body system of the fish. One way to find out the presence of internal parasites is by checking the appearance of the poop and your fish's appetite. You mentioned your fish had not been eating in the last few days. How did the poop look? The poop should not have a white stringy appearance. Have your fish been treated with anything before? Assuming you had previously seen the poop looking white and stringy, then you need to treat all your fish with praziquantel. Praziquantel does not come cheap but it is available either as Prazipro or Droncit. Droncit is a dog dewormer so ask the nearest vet if he has it in stock. Prazipro can be obtained from petstores or online sites. There are many meds that carry prazi but pure praziquantel is your best bet. I am not sure about Canada's regulations against meds though. There is another treatment that could be used but must be administered with caution in a separate tank: epsom salt (magnesium sulfate). It is best used as a bath and can be obtained in pharmacies.
Thirdly, check for possible internal bacterial infections. Any other outward unusual symptoms? For suspected internal bacterial infections, what you can do here is hit the problem by allowing the fish to ingest something. Either buy medicated foods especially by Jungle or make gel foods and use the small portion as medicated food wherein you combine kanaplex, tetracycline or a combination of Maracyn and Maracyn 2. The last possible cause of this issue is improper acclimation procedure and this is almost instantaneous. From your post, I do not think this is the culprit if you are acclimating your fish properly.