I just discovered that my Praecox have been breeding. My tank has been quiet for a few weeks - my praecox and my gobies have been hiding. I found a handful of babies at the surface of the water so I purchased a Fry Net. I immediately noticed a couple of females, including my bumblebee gobies, came out of hiding and starting hanging around the Fry Net. I'm assuming the gobies have been eating eggs since they look healthy. It was nice to see life in my tank again. Since I only have 4 praecox, I was planning to keep a few of the babies since the praecox is a shoaling fish and I'd like 6 to 8.
Anyway, at first I thought one of the females was possibly the "mother" trying ot protect her fry, but after research I discovered that's not the case. After closer examination I noticed that she looked a little beat up. Her fins looked ragged and nipped at but didn't appear to be rot. She also had a growth at the base of her caudel fin and appeared to be gasping a little. (It's hard to decipher w/rainbows because they naturally have a gasping motion anyway.) I was going to remove her today, but when I came home she was already dead.
After researching the other 3 , it looks like one of the other females has a growth on her lip. I've researched praecox w/lip issues and it's common for them to hit their lips on things because they're so hyper. I wouldn't think much if the other one hadn't just died. Plus, I can't find my third gobie - anywhere. I would post a pic of the female w/the lip issue but she's sooo hyper I can't snap one in time.
My biggest concern is now I have fry, plus 2 fairly new bamboo shrimp and an apple snail. None are conducive to meds. Your expert advice would be much appreciated. Do I move the babies, my shrimp and my snail to QT and dose the tank? If so, what type of med? Thanks.
1. Size of tank? 25 GALLONS
2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? 0
b. Nitrite? 0
c. Nitrate? 20 PPM
d. pH, KH and GH? PH8.0
e. Test kit? API MASTER KIT
3. Temperature? 80
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? FW
5. How long the aquarium has been set up? 9 MONTHS
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
3 PRAECOX (ADULT), 3 BUMBLEBEE GOBIES (ADULT), 2 BAMBOO SHRIMP (ADULT), 1 APPLE SNAIL (BABY)
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? ALL EXCEPT THE SHRIMP AND SNAIL
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? MOSTLY FAKE PLANTS W/1 ANUBIAS, FEW STEMS OF CABOMBA, FEW STEMS OF ANARCHARIS
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? GRAVEL
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? 1 WONDER ROCK, 1 CICHLID STONE, 1 PLASTIC CAVE
9. a. Filtration? AQUACLEAR 30, AQUEON 10
b. Heater? YES
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? 12 HRS/DAY, 6500K
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? DIFFUSED FROM THE WINDOWS IN THE LIVING ROOM
11. a. Water change schedule? 2X MONTH
b. Volume of water changed? 40%
c. Well water, tap water, RO water?TAP WATER
d. Water conditioner used? PRIME
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? EVERY TIME
12. Foods? BRINE SHRIMP
How often are they fed? 1X DAY
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? GROWTH AT CAUDEL FIN, GROWTH ON LIP - DEATH
b. Appearance of poop? UNKNOWN
c. Appearance of gills? NORMAL
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? NO
b. What meds were used? N/A