1. Size of tank?
36 gallon bowfront
2. Water parameters
d. pH, KH and GH?pH7, kH80,GH120
e. Test kit?API 5 in 1 test strips and Jungle ammonia test strips (I know these aren't ideal, maybe after Christmas I can afford to get a kit)
3. Temperature? 78F
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? Freshwater
5. How long the aquarium has been set up? Established over a year, but I just bought it used 2 months ago, been working to get it cleaned up as it was not properly maintained by the previous owner
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
2 dwarf gouramis
2 fancy guppies
1 balloon molly
(I just re-homed another angelfish, 3 red minor tetras, 2 ghost catfish, and 2 big algae eaters within the last month, this tank was way overstocked)
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?
All the fish were already in the tank when I bought it
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? 2 aquatic moss balls, I'm not sure what the other plants are called, maybe you can tell by the pictures?
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Gravel
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? volcano, pirate ship, and a large hollow rock cave
9. a. Filtration? 2 Aqueon quietflow 20 filters
b. Heater? Aqueon 200W
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? Florescent light is usually on from 7am-9pm, not sure on the wattage.
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? No sunlight
11. a. Water change schedule? I've been changing 50% weekly to get the tank un-disgusting since I purchased it from a friend of a friend 2 months ago.
b. Volume of water changed? 50%
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap water
d. Water conditioner used? Aquasafe water conditioner and a pH balancer, Jungle start zyme
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? With weekly water changes
12. Foods? Tetra brand flakes, freeze-dried bloodworms and baby shrimp
How often are they fed? Daily
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? A guppy got attacked shortly after we moved the tank in, he's healing up well, but the outer edge of his tail fin has some discoloration. Also, the gouramis seem to be breathing harder than the other fish, I may be imagining that the gouramis look sick, but one seems to stay in the same place all the time, the other swims all over, but has really dark blue spots on his gills. I'm not sure if I'm imagining it, or if he is looking fatter every day! The angelfish has red spots in one eye, not both, not sure if that's normal.
b. Appearance of poop? red-ish? I don't see them pooping all the time:/
c. Appearance of gills? One gourami has dark spots on his gill area, the rest all look normal
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? I tried melafix as directed by the dweebs at Petsmart to no avail. They were stumped when it didn't fix my guppy. They directed me to T.C. Tetracycline, which I purchased, but haven't used yet.
b. What meds were used? Just melafix at least 2 weeks ago.
15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary. It's late and the pictures need to be re-sized and I don't have a program for that. I can add photos if needed:) thanks!
Also wanted to add: I've been reading everything I can find on the internet and a lot of the information I have seen is contradictory in itself, so I assume I know nothing and hope someone can give me a reliable source for aquarium information as well! I had a 10 gallon tank for a year before I upgraded, but I never really had any troubles with it, I'm trying to learn all I can as I go along! I have just set up a secondary 10 gallon tank for hospital/quarantine purposes, but I'm not sure how to handle anything from here, so I'm pleading for help so I don't screw up and kill all my fish! If the guppy has fin rot, should I just treat him in the hospital tank, or everyone? Then won't the bacteria still be in the main tank? I know don't treat the main tank, but should I empty it and scrub everything down or not so much? Please HELP!!