Please help me id this disease. (completed form)
My apologies as I didn't see this form prior to posting:
1. Size of tank? 135 gallons
2. Water parameters -
a. Ammonia - .5 ppm
b. Nitrite – 5.0
c. Nitrate – 160 ppm
d. pH, KH and GH - ph 7.2 / kh 6 drops / gh 11
e. Test kit API liquid tests
NOTE: I did a 50% water change last night to address ammonia levels. (ammonia was 4 ppm on the 11th compared to .5 ppm this morning. Nitrate levels are still high. I’ve also only been running the JBJ 45 UV filters for about 3 – 4 weeks.
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish) = freshwater
5. How long the aquarium has been set up- almost 3 years
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
- 1 (one) long nose gar – 20 inches
- 1 (one) short nose gar – 16 inches
- 1 (one) short nose gar - 14 inches
- 2 pumkin seed – 6 inches
- 3 pumkin seed – 4 inches
- 1 bass – 7 inches
- 3 rock bass – 3 inches
- 12 rock bass about 2 – 3 inches (intended as feeder fish for gar)
- 1 channel cat – 12 inches – just added
- 2 mud cats – one about 6 inches / one about 4 inches – about 7 months
- (Think I need to think them out…)
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? No. “Healthy” appearing fish without serious wounds are placed in the tank.
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? No fake plants. 1 ˝ grass type plants (fish eat them) Hoping to plant tank for appearance purposes and to help with nitrate levels.
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Small river gravel bottom
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? No wood. Two hollow decors – one coral rock type and one mangrove root.
9. a. Filtration? 2 JBJ 45 UV canister filters.
b. Heater? No heater. Temp fluxuates with the house. Approx 70 to 73 degrees.
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? No real schedule. On more during the weekends. During the weekends – it’s on during the day and off at night. Week – mostly off during the day and on over night. Indirect light only outside of the aquarium lights. Two regular “plant lights” for aquarium hoods. (One light on each end.)
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? Indirect light throughout the day if the patio drapes are left open. There isn’t a great deal of light in that room even with the drapes partially open.
11. a. Water change schedule? About every three weeks.
b. Volume of water changed? 35%
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap water
d. Water conditioner used? yes
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? Once a month or every other depending on tank condition.
12. Foods? High protein cichlid pellets - mostly floating. Some sinking. Periodic live minnows, worms, blood worms, and (for a treat every once in a while – beef and pork hotdogs)
How often are they fed? Smaller feedings 2 to three times a day depending on what they are being fed. Trying to feed the sinking pellets only at night or when the light is off for an extended period so the flat head cat fish can come out and feed.
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? – within the last two weeks, which resulted in this post.
b. Appearance of poop? normal
c. Appearance of gills? Normal – no cotton, appearance of inflammation, or worms
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? No Infected fish are removed and euthanized as soon as I can net them.
b. What meds were used?
15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary. Already provided link to photos.