Parasiite problems
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Tropical Fish Diseases » Parasiite problems

Parasiite problems

This is a discussion on Parasiite problems within the Tropical Fish Diseases forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Sorry about the other post, I'm having comp problems also. I'll have to manually type the diag sheet here. Tank size is 20g. Current ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Platy
Platy
Hillstream Loach
Hillstream Loach
Reply
Old 09-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Parasiite problems

Sorry about the other post, I'm having comp problems also. I'll have to manually type the diag sheet here. Tank size is 20g. Current temp is 78f. Ammonia-0, Nitrites-0, Nitrates-10ppm, ph-7.5 as tested with API liquid. It is freshwater and has been running for over 5 months. Inhabitants are- 2 adult platy, 2- adolescent platy, 7-small fry, 1- adolescent swordtail, 1- small bristlenose pleco and a growing snail population. No quarantine. Live plants- arachnis, anubias, wisteria, and several plant bunches I can't name. Fake gravel and real driftwood. 2 HOB filters- Top Fin 20 stuffed with media sponge, Aqua Tech5-15 stuffed with media sponge. 5100K daylight lighting on for 12 hours a day. Tap water changed 25% once a week. Gravel top vacuumed once a week. Gravel lightly deep vacuumed one a month. Fed NLS 2x daily, NLS algea wafer once a night. Green vegs 2x a week. Trouble signs- All was good for months until I added new plants from Petco and a pleco from a local store in the same day. The next day fish started glancing. The day after 1 platy became lethargic and stayed on bottom. The next morning she was dead floating with a white worm hanging from her gills.The next day another platy stayed on the bottom so I scooped her and put her in the freezer. I thawed her out and saw a white worm in her gills. The rest of the fish were glancing . At this point I'm sure they're all doomed. I increased the temp to 88-89f for 16 days. They still glanced so for the last 6 days of heat treatment I applied API Quick Cure. It's now a week past all of this and I still have some light glancing but otherwise normal behavior. Any ideas?P.S.- 2 days after buying plants at Petco they had blocked off 3/4 of their tanks for observation, saying they had ICH.

Last edited by marshallsea; 09-21-2012 at 09:46 PM..
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallsea View Post
Sorry about the other post, I'm having comp problems also. I'll have to manually type the diag sheet here. Tank size is 20g. Current temp is 78f. Ammonia-0, Nitrites-0, Nitrates-10ppm, ph-7.5 as tested with API liquid. It is freshwater and has been running for over 5 months. Inhabitants are- 2 adult platy, 2- adolescent platy, 7-small fry, 1- adolescent swordtail, 1- small bristlenose pleco and a growing snail population. No quarantine. Live plants- arachnis, anubias, wisteria, and several plant bunches I can't name. Fake gravel and real driftwood. 2 HOB filters- Top Fin 20 stuffed with media sponge, Aqua Tech5-15 stuffed with media sponge. 5100K daylight lighting on for 12 hours a day. Tap water changed 25% once a week. Gravel top vacuumed once a week. Gravel lightly deep vacuumed one a month. Fed NLS 2x daily, NLS algea wafer once a night. Green vegs 2x a week. Trouble signs- All was good for months until I added new plants from Petco and a pleco from a local store in the same day. The next day fish started glancing. The day after 1 platy became lethargic and stayed on bottom. The next morning she was dead floating with a white worm hanging from her gills.The next day another platy stayed on the bottom so I scooped her and put her in the freezer. I thawed her out and saw a white worm in her gills. The rest of the fish were glancing . At this point I'm sure they're all doomed. I increased the temp to 88-89f for 16 days. They still glanced so for the last 6 days of heat treatment I applied API Quick Cure. It's now a week past all of this and I still have some light glancing but otherwise normal behavior. Any ideas?P.S.- 2 days after buying plants at Petco they had blocked off 3/4 of their tanks for observation, saying they had ICH.
I should clarify that my question is what could be causing the glancing? I know it's not the water and if it was ICH my two treatments should have killed it.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Well, I've ruled out water problems and ICH. Researching shows that it is probably gill or skin flukes. I know it's hard to diagnose and medicate successfully but at this point I have to try something so I've decided to treat with API General Cure.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
 
dave56's Avatar
 
Prazi-Pro will help irradicate flukes. They are hard to get rid of. Might take several treatments.
dave56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
 
fish monger's Avatar
 
Definitely sounds like the Petco additions are the culprit. I just bought a betta splendens there yesterday. Luckily, he's by himself and hasn't shown any negative signs yet. My local Petco seems to have given up on fish and when I went online to purchase some accessories they were out of stock on literally everything. I don't have any experience with what your are going through. Surely other members will have great advice. Good luck !
fish monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish monger View Post
Definitely sounds like the Petco additions are the culprit. I just bought a betta splendens there yesterday. Luckily, he's by himself and hasn't shown any negative signs yet. My local Petco seems to have given up on fish and when I went online to purchase some accessories they were out of stock on literally everything. I don't have any experience with what your are going through. Surely other members will have great advice. Good luck !
I've solved the problem. The API General Cure fixed the flukes. Another part of the problem was I had been overfeeding and that caused high nitrates. All is well again.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
 
dave56's Avatar
 
Keep an eye on your fish. normally it takes more than one treatment as the eggs from the original flukes hatch, and reinfect the fish
dave56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
 
yyankeeyankeefan's Avatar
 
glad your tank is ok now. i don't shop at petco anymore. my son's tank was organically high fin plattys. NOT ANY MORE! thanks to the addition of 1 platty that i bought at petco and it infected my entire tank! only 1 survived and i am sad to say it wasn't my fav. one either. my son was devistated. they brought ich into his tank. it was my original stocking so i didn't quarenteen as it was everyone at once got into the tank. some birthday present that turned out to be. by the time i treated the tank it was to late....sadly they had almost all died within 24 hours of showing treatment..... then petco tried to say that there was no ich in their tanks! when they had most of the freshwater tanks closed off because of ich.....and they were completely empty minus a couple of clearly infected fish, because everything died off. i had to yell at a manger to refund me the 70 dollars i had spent on their products. i even made them refund the price i paid on ich medicine. lol. man was that a long day!
yyankeeyankeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyankeeyankeefan View Post
glad your tank is ok now. i don't shop at petco anymore. my son's tank was organically high fin plattys. NOT ANY MORE! thanks to the addition of 1 platty that i bought at petco and it infected my entire tank! only 1 survived and i am sad to say it wasn't my fav. one either. my son was devistated. they brought ich into his tank. it was my original stocking so i didn't quarenteen as it was everyone at once got into the tank. some birthday present that turned out to be. by the time i treated the tank it was to late....sadly they had almost all died within 24 hours of showing treatment..... then petco tried to say that there was no ich in their tanks! when they had most of the freshwater tanks closed off because of ich.....and they were completely empty minus a couple of clearly infected fish, because everything died off. i had to yell at a manger to refund me the 70 dollars i had spent on their products. i even made them refund the price i paid on ich medicine. lol. man was that a long day!
It's so easy for a chain LFS to cause problems yet so difficult for a chain LFS to solve them.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #10
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave56 View Post
Keep an eye on your fish. normally it takes more than one treatment as the eggs from the original flukes hatch, and reinfect the fish
Thank you. After one more treatment than recommended, flukes are gone.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problems.... Beej Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 31 10-09-2011 04:50 PM
Car Problems Cassandra90 Off Topic Discussions 2 03-24-2011 05:42 PM
Temp problems/Fin Problems? eelz212 Tropical Fish Diseases 9 07-29-2008 11:26 PM
Problems problems Problems and i explain everything xxthrwitdwnxx Tropical Fish Diseases 12 05-10-2007 01:44 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 PM.