10-07-2009, 10:02 AM
| || |
One of my platy fish has what I think is mild fin rot.
There is apparently some ammonia in my 25 gallon (.5 - 1) but none of my fish seem affected by it, even my 5-day-old fry. Today I noticed that my very healthy 5 month old male platy has black tips around his fins, though he is still very active and acts no different than normal.
I have done a 25% water change on saturday, and then I did a 15-20% change today. With baby fish and ammonia levels, I would think I should change water a little more frequently than my usual 25% a week change. Would two changes a week be too much?
Also, I usually do not use chemicals/cycler to remove chlorine; I usually wait between 5 hours and a full day to add water. I thought this could be the problem with ammonia, so I bought some AquaPlus Tap Water Conditioner and add it to the buckets before I add to the tank, but I still wait a few hours to be sure. Will this help?
How should I go about ridding the tank of ammonia and healing my platy?