1. What is the size of your tank?
2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used.
"normal" on our test strips
"Ammonia Quick Dip" and "6 tests in one strip quick dip" Jungle brand
3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?
4. How long the aquarium has been set up?
5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
started with 3 mollies (2 male 1 female) and 3 black skirted tetras Jan 12
added 3 female mollies, 1 Mickey platy, and 3 blood fin tetras Jan 17
they are all 1-2 inches
We had to add the female mollies as our original male molly was getting territorial
from our Jan 17th batch, our creamsicle molly delivered some babies last week and died 5 days later
ich was discovered same weekend of her delivery
today, a blood fin tetra and black skirted tetra died
6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?
7. What temperature is the tank water currently?
it was originally set at 80 degrees
we turned it up to 86 last night based on advice to "speed up" the ich cycle
8. Are there live plants in the aquarium?
9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.
Penguin Power filter bio wheel, model 350
removed filter cartridges once started ich treatment
10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?
heater and filter only
11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?ern
we live in northern michigan - not a lot of direct sunlight this time of year
we turn on aquarium light a few hours a day
12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?
this past week we have been doing daily water changes of 20 %, vacuuming each time
13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?
omega one flakes 2 times a day (7a and 7p)
1-2 times a week give frozen brine shrimp
14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?
white ich spots developed on all fish except for the original mollies and blood fin tetras Jan 29
white eye pop developed on 2 mollies (one from each batch)
2 fish (one molly and the platy) delived a few babies (only appeared to have about 3-5, but difficult to tell as they were eaten rather quickly)
1 molly died Feb 3
1 blood fin and 1 black skirted tetra died today (following increase in temperature last night)
today many of the fish are hanging out at the top most of the day and one molly keeps disappearing
I'm also seeing more bubbles at the top of the tank and along the heater
15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.
based on the white spots on almost all of the fish, we treated the tank with Kor Don Rid Ich Plus. (this is our second bottle of treatment so I don't know what the original bottle was. We started with once a day treatments but have now gone to 2 times a day with this second bottle. also increased the water temp last night, but will likely lower that back again to 80 after 2 deaths today.
all of our test strips keep coming back in the normal range for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate but I think we need the liquid test kit referenced in other posts. Are the fish that we got not "hardy" enough to cycle the tank? Can fish deliver babies when they are stressed? How long does it take for the ich to go away? We are getting tired of the cloudy water, constant medicating the water, and spotted fish. Is the eye pop related to the ich? Are the extra bubbles a problem?
Also, when our fish die, the are on the bottom of the tank, not floating "belly up" like I thought fish do.
My goal is to have an angel fish some day, but we need a much more stable tank for that. I hate seeing our fish die and getting these diseases. Please help!!