Hi guys. I'll fill out the form first.
1. Size of tank? 50L or about 13 Gallons.
2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? 0.0
b. Nitrite? 0.0
c. Nitrate? Normal (had pet store do it)
d. pH, KH and GH? pH was 6.8, the others were normal (pet store again)
e. Test kit? API Liquid
3. Temperature? 26 Celsius, or 78 F
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? FW
5. How long the aquarium has been set up? Since March
6. What fish do you have? Betta, Neon Tetras
How many are in your tank? 1 Betta, 9 Neons left now :(
How big are they? Averaged sized
How long have you had them? Since April after the tank was cycled.
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? All put in at the sametime
8. a. Any live plants? Yes, an Amazon Sword
, and two others I can't identify. Fake plants? None
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Gravel
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? Nothing fancy, a bulldozer, and a few bits of fake wood for caves that have been in the tank since I got it, and a pot that has also been in there since I got it.
9. a. Filtration? Marina Slimfilter S15
b. Heater?Aquaone 55W
10. a. Lighting schedule? Around 12 hours. What lights are used? All I can see is 15W Phillips.
b. Any sunlight exposure? Obliquely How long? Maybe an hour.
11. a. Water change schedule? Weekly
b. Volume of water changed? Between 30% and 50% - depends on water evaporation that week.
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap Water
d. Water conditioner used? Yes - API Stress Coat
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? Just along the front edge weekly.
12. Foods? TetraMin Tropical Granules, Aqua One Tropical flakes, other little treats like mossie larvae when I get my hands on it. The neons hate the flakes, always eat he granules.
How often are they fed? Usually twice daily.
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? I noticed the tetra last night hiding under a rock. I moved the rock, and he went swimming happily off, so thought nothing of it. This morning, he's dead, under a different rock.
b. Appearance of poop? Seems normal
c. Appearance of gills? Just below and under the gill area it is brown.
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? Nope
b. What meds were used?
15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.
I'm sorry, I can't get a good shot, they are all blurry :/
So as I said above, I noticed this one tetra last night hiding under a rock in the gravel. I moved the rock, and he (or she) swam off, and went back to the school of tetras. The this morning, I come out, and he's on the other side of the tank, under a rock, obviously dead. So I pulled him out, and I the only thing I can see is the area under his gills, and back a bit is brown. He's a bit faded, but I assume that that is caused by the fact that he's no longer here.
I'm a bit sad, this is my first loss, and I'm glad I have a large school of them, otherwise my three year old would be asking questions :/
But in saying that, I have noticed this morning that my betta has been picked on, his tail has been mauled, and he's taken to hiding under a log, and flaring and chasing off anything that comes too close. They've been getting on fine for several weeks now, and now this?
Any ideas and advice is gratefully received...