1. Size of tank? 29 gal
2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? 0ppm
b. Nitrite? 0ppm
c. Nitrate? <30ppm (tested a week ago at 20ppm)
d. pH, KH and GH? pH=8.3
e. Test kit? API freshwater master test kit
3. Temperature? 78
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? FW
5. How long the aquarium has been set up? 3 months
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
I am down to 2 swordtails, one male and one female. they have been in there for 2 and a half months
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? no, but all came from the same store within a month and a half of each other.
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? a few live plants
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? gravel
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? a few rocks, either quartz types or slate. all of the slate is from my mom's old tanks but have been dry for five years or more
9. a. Filtration? Marineland Whisper (came with tank)
b. Heater? rated to 35 gal.
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? light that came with tank, on most days from 8 to5 or 6 (tank is at our office, so one during business hours)
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? no.
11. a. Water change schedule? about 5 gallons every week to two weeks (i don't let my nitrates get to 40 ppm)
b. Volume of water changed? about 5 gallons
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? tap water let sit for at least 24 hours to declorinate
d. Water conditioner used? none
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? i don't have a vacuum yet, so i have yet to do so
12. Foods? Aqueon tropical flakes
How often are they fed? small amount every other day
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? see below
b. Appearance of poop?
c. Appearance of gills?
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? no
b. What meds were used?
list of changes:
- 2 zebra danios added a week after the tank was set up, along with plants
- cycle seemed to level out (almost 0ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite, about 5 ppm nitrite) a few days latter
- a week after the first fish, added 4 more danios and two swordtails
- a few days after that, 0ppm ammonia, .5 ppm nitrite, and >5ppm nitrate
- two and a half weeks after first fish, one danio died. nitrites were pretty high, though i don't remember exactly what they were. i assume he was one of the first two
- three days later ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 10ppm
- another danio missing (assumed dead, but i couldn't find it anywhere)
- after a week of stable levels, added a small common pleco(2 and a half inches long) and a male betta. (last change)
- the next day another danio was dead
- over the next month, my remaining three danios all died
- the pleco died two days after the last danio
- today, a week after the pleco died, my betta is dead
a few of the danios got bent backs the day or two before they were found dead, but not all of the. the last one looked just fine the day before.
the pleco was just fine one day, dead the next.
the betta seemed to be rather lethargic for a day or two but other than that looked fine
no spots/patches, no discoloring, no notable changes in appetite, no gasping, and no other common symptoms i've read about.
i'm reall worried about my swordtails now, i don't want to loose them too. but i have no idea what to do other than start over, which i also don't want to do.
Please help me